Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Direction on removing front T/A Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Direction on removing front T/A Speakers

I just received my new 6.5" comps which Im puting in the door panels. Problem is apparently you have to remove the entire, or at least a portion of the door panel. Can someone give me a little direction on what I have to do so that I dont break anything?

Can the plastic door insert that surrounds the speakers forms part of the door storage compartment be removed by itself or does the entire door panel have to come off.

Anyone with photos please let me know, it would be much easier then trying to describe the parts and that. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

You do have to remove the door panel. Here's a step by step to remove them.: (Quoted from Fbodyaudio.com's tech section)

1. Remove the 1 screw holding the plastic triangle piece by the side mirror. That piece will just pop off.

2. Pop off the door lock indicator. Can be a little tricky but it just pops off.

3. Remove the 3 big screws. 2 are in the arm rest area. The 3rd is under the handle you grab to close the door. It is kind of angled upwards. I believe the firebirds may also have a 4th big screw at the bottom of the door panel near the map holder area.

4. Remove the black plastic trim that goes around the handle and holds the switches. To do this remove the screw behind the handle and the screw angled upward near where the 3rd big screw was in step 3. Pop the piece loose enough to reach behind it and unplug the wiring harnesses. Some people like to pop out the smaller plastic piece that holds the switches first but I like to leave it in as the clips tend not to go back on as tight. Once the harnesses are unplugged you can remove the piece by twisting it to clear the door handle.

5. Now the door panel is ready to come off. It lifts up and out...not straight out. It has "j" hooks molded as part of the door panel and if you try to pull the door panel straight out you'll break the hooks making it impossible to keep the panel secure. It may be a little tight to move it up at first. I prefer to grab the panel near the weathestripping at the top of the door and pull it up and out just enough to unhook it from the top part of the door frame. This then gives you a good place to pull the rest of the panel up.

6. Installation is the opposite.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

thats what I was afraid of.

I ran across that post yesterday as well, thanks.