PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrating driveshaft cause a false misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Vibrating driveshaft cause a false misfire?

i just got back from the track last night. after a couple of runs on the spray, on the top end of the track, i kept getting a flashing SES light. i was sure that i melted a plug or something, but right after the run the motor still felt smooth and the plugs looked ok. i ended up running it like that the rest of the night with out any problems but that flashing SES. the only reason i can see for it, it the fact that my driveshaft is not balanced correctly and vibrated the hell out of the car on the top end of the track. i think that this is sending pulsations up through the tranny and into the crank sending false misfires. again, i was on the spray but i figured that if it was a fuel distributing problem, i would of seen some kind of other problems like burnt plugs and such. also on just a 150 shot with a single NX shark nozzle, i dont see that happing. what do yall think. remember that the shaft does vibrate the crap out of the car at over 60mph and i was traping 128 at the track. i was so scared of it letting go that i welded up a driveshaft loop right before i went to the track. regardless, the car ran great and got quicker on every run.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your driveshaft is vibrating the car violently they you shoudl fix it. Do you have an adjustable torque arm on there? I would bet your pinion angle is off if nothing is physically wrong with it. Its easy to fix.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes anything that would cause an uneven crank rotation will trip false DTC P0300 multi misfires.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by shaneSS
if your driveshaft is vibrating the car violently they you shoudl fix it. Do you have an adjustable torque arm on there? I would bet your pinion angle is off if nothing is physically wrong with it. Its easy to fix.
i do have an adjustable TA but it is set at -2 degrees. that shouldnt be a problem because i did have it when the stock shaft was in there. the shaft i used was out of a 69 camaro that i had shorten for my car but not balanced. i am just going to take it off and get it checked out.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Team ZR-1
Yes anything that would cause an uneven crank rotation will trip false DTC P0300 multi misfires.
thats what i thinking. especialy when it only did it at the top end of the track. thanks.