Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter unlocking under VERY light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converter unlocking under VERY light acceleration

I'm pretty sure my converter isn't completely locking up. Whenever it locks, the rpms will drop, then raise, drop, raise, and so on until I let off the gas. It seems like it's trying to lock but can't under acceleration. And usually I feel a slight jolt when the converter locks but now I feel nothing. But when the converter does lock, the slightest of acceleration will unlock it. I can literally go up a 0.5% incline and the damn thing will unlock.

At first I thought it might be a tuning/ignition issue so I changed the plugs, cleaned the maf, and cleaned the O2's. Didn't help. I'm throwing no codes so I have no idea what the deal is. I noticed it happens worse or more often when the trans temp is hotter. I checked the fluid and it looks and smells new. My converter better not be going out because that would be the second Yank to go out in 6 months
Old 06-25-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You do not state what year your vehicle is, however if it is an 01 or 02 model, I would bet it is a shift point issue possibly coupled to a TM issue. A good dyno tune should eliminate your problems, it did mine.

JMHO

SteveC
Old 06-25-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it unlocking, or slipping? I've seen a few Yanks slip when locked up under load.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Is it unlocking, or slipping? I've seen a few Yanks slip when locked up under load.
Hmmm it might be slipping. If it is, it's slipping its *** off because it feels exactly like its unlocking when I have to give it any gas at all. But the reason I think it's having lockup problems is due to the fact that the rpms jump all over the place when it locks up, and I don't feel that jolt when it does lock.

And it's a 98 w/ a full dyno tune. Definitely not a TM issue.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your sig says cammed. Have your misfire tables been edited? You don't have to get misfire codes for misfires to screw with T/C lockup.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, if your computer is seeing misfires, it will unlock the converter so it can better monitor misfires. You need to adjust the misfire detection criteria w/ edit.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Your sig says cammed. Have your misfire tables been edited? You don't have to get misfire codes for misfires to screw with T/C lockup.
Yeah I know, that is why I changed the plugs thinking the old ones were fouled (15k miles on them). The misfire tables were left alone but were done so a misfire would not set off an SES light. I just don't think it's an misfire issue because of how often and easily the converter unlocks, with that many misfires, in theory it would never lockup.

Also, this only started happening a few weeks ago. I've had my cam and tuning for over a year. I don't see what could have happened recently to cause the tuning to screw up.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post a bigger sig of what exactly your car has. Specifically what Yank verter?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post a bigger sig of what exactly your car has. Specifically what Yank verter?
PT4000 (6 months old)
Built Tranny by a pretty reputable shop here in Dallas (4 months old)
Full boltons minus a pulley
TR224
LS1 Edit tuning
Old 06-25-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy was having the same problem with his PT4200 until we adjusted the misfire detection section, even though we turned off the P0300 code. You need to determine if its actually unlocking, or slipping. Another friend of mine was actually having slipping problems with his Yank Truck Thruster converter until we installed a TransGo TCC modification valve, but it started from day 1 with the converter. Is the fluid level full?
Old 06-25-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy was having the same problem with his PT4200 until we adjusted the misfire detection section, even though we turned off the P0300 code. You need to determine if its actually unlocking, or slipping. Another friend of mine was actually having slipping problems with his Yank Truck Thruster converter until we installed a TransGo TCC modification valve, but it started from day 1 with the converter. Is the fluid level full?
Fluid level is full. I guess I'll need to hook it up to a TechII and see what's up. Are you saying you made the misfire detectionless sensitive? If it is a misfire issue, I need to figure out why my car is misfiring alot more now than usual. I'm trying to look at the clues to figure this damn thing out!

-Happens more often when trans temp is higher
-Usually doesn't happen the 1st time the converter locks, usually 2nd or 3rd and on from there
-Has trouble locking (RPMs cycle up and down when locking)
-Lightest acceleration unlocks it (possible slippage)
-Converter doesn't give the little jolt when locking up, I can barely feel lockup now

One thing I forgot to mention was this first started happening on June 2nd, which was our 1st really hot day, but trans temp wasn't out of the ordinary (150-180). I don't know if this had anything to do with it.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same issue with my cam

The cam will cause misfire codes. Turning off the SES light won't help. You need to turn off misfire detection at idle and low rpms.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing to consider: If you have a manual lock-up switch (which is an easy mod) then lock up the convertor at speed, say 45-50, and just give enough throttle to maintain your speed. If the RPMs jump to around 3000, then you've burned up your OD clutch pack. It happened to me. I locked the convertor solid, but the RPMs jumped when I tried to maintain highwy speed. I took it to Joel's on Joy, and he showed me the smoked clutches. It's perfect now.

FWIW, Joel said that the 4L60E is a very strong trans on the upshift, but that the drums drain fluid axially rather than radially, and on downshifting, the fluid has nowhere to go as RPMs rise. That's what kills these trannies. The number one warranty on the 4L60E is the V6 S-10s, because they require so many kickdowns to stay in their powerband. They die all the time, I'm told.

Hope this helps, and your PM is returned...

SC-
Old 06-27-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
I had the same issue with my cam

The cam will cause misfire codes. Turning off the SES light won't help. You need to turn off misfire detection at idle and low rpms.
But I have had my cam and tuning for over a year, which is why I'm saying if there is a misfire problem, it's recently sprung up. Unless for some reason I'm getting alot more misfires now than I ever have before, I don't believe this is an ignition issue.

SS00Blue, thanks for the help. I was planning on locking it up with a Tech II and seeing what it does.

Quick Reply: Converter unlocking under VERY light acceleration