Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump o-ring questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil pump o-ring questions...

When will it be evident if the oil pump o-ring is seated incorectly? I am getting ready to fire up my H/C car, and had a hell of a time getting the oil pump o-ring in there correctly (as far as I could see). Since I put the oil pump on, I've been having nightmares and worrying that it will be problematic, enough so that I have considered pulling it back apart to check it (I'm a little obsessive and detail oriented ). I intend to "prime" it (by turning the car over with the coil packs disconnected, as recommended on LS1howto.com), if it is installed incorrectly, will I notice it then? When I crank and run the car, will it be evident then? What kind of oil pressure should I have at idle? I have a TSP ported oil pump, fwiw (and unshimmed afaik). Thanks, Shawn
Old 06-28-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be evident probably when you start it or after it warms up. Just keep an eye on it for the first 5-10 minutes and if the pressure is way below normal, then theres probably a problem. Idle should be no less than 30 PSI. If the motor is still stock, idle pressure may be the same or a tad more. Also, I would just pull the fuel pump fuse to prime it. Just pulling the coil packs will flood the motor since it still put in fuel but no spark. Just turn it over for about 10 seconds.... wait 30 secs... turn over for another 10 seconds and put the fuses in and fire it up.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

I just did mine the second go around and did it a little different to insure a proper seal.
I installed the oil pump casing minus the gear drives and front cover. That way I could visually see if it was seated correctly. Lucky I did, because the first time I could see where it was torqued around. Pulled it off and seated it right, and tightened the bolt.
Of course the bolt is a completely different story. I also cranked the engine by hand to help prime the pump.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Spanky LS1 I was on the same boat as you after reading a couple threads about people messing up their seal. I knew I put it together correctly but I re-used the old seal when I put in a ported oil pump with my cam. Well finally got her started Monday and have good pressure. Just watch the gauge when you start up and keep a eye on it. SInce I had a new cam I had to baby the gas for a while just to get her to idle so I just kept a eye on the oil pressure gauge.

Good luck.