PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Innovative LM-1 Wide band, in order to read rpm must i buy adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Innovative LM-1 Wide band, in order to read rpm must i buy adapter?

if so what all do i need Do i need an inductive pickup plus the adapter or can i just tap into some wire on the computer? Anyone know if it has an output that I can input into my hptuners software?
Thanks
dave
Old 06-29-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

There are a few posts on how you can feed the analog output from the LM-1 into an "unused" sensor on the vehicle, and then read that sensor with scan software to get your wideband data. It requires some calibration work to get the scanned data to match up with the proper AFR value.

I have seen reports of this being done through the A/C pressure sensor (by JNorris and others) and through a rear O2 sensor (XLR8NSS and ChrisB). I keep meaning to try this, but haven't got to it just yet.

If you want to use the LM-1 for logging RPM, you will need a separate RPM signal.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you have any links to this? I assume id still have to convert the voltage to an appropriate air/fuel? What kind of calibrations would you have to do if you are just inputing a voltage?

Dave
Old 06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

A search of "wideband JNorris" yielded this thread...
link

He does a good job of explaining how to use with EFILive. I assume other scan tools would be similar. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i read this. I sent an email to innovative. I would have thought the voltage output would be linear and you could just apply an equation to the output voltage to get air/fuel. That'd be too easy I guess.

Dave
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

The voltage output from the LM-1 is linear. One of the default analog outputs is 1-2V = 10-20AFR (or AFR=volts*10). JNorris used this output and then did some math in EFILive to convert the PCM sensor input into AFR. The PCM doesn't see the signal from the LM-1 as 1 to 2 volts. The PCM sees that signal as a digitized signal with 0-255 counts (for the A/C pressure sensor anyways). This is one reason for the extra math. The other reason is the voltage offset between the sensor ground, PCM ground, and LM-1 ground.
The nice thing about EFILive is that it gives you access to some of the raw PCM data. This can be useful in situations such as this where you want to create a custom data stream. Notice that several of the responders in that thread reported different methods for dealing with calibration and offsets. Since every setup will be slightly different, a few calibration tests will be necessary to get accurate data recorded by the scan software.
I suspect you could just develop your own calibration based on whatever the hptuners scanner gives you. If you can log the A/C pressure sensor, I would suggest setting one of the LM-1 outputs to 0-5V linear (0V=AFR10, 5V=AFR20) to get the full resolution (0-255) of the sensor in the PCM. Then you would just need to make several logs with both the LM-1 and the scanner at the same time. Match up the logs and make your own calibration to convert whatever the scanner reads into the correct AFR seen by the LM-1.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

gotchya, thanks
dave