Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear cover seal is a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear cover seal is a PITA

OK ... so what is the trick to getting this on without using some special GM designed tool?

It appears the seal is a 2 part design, an outer rubber lip/scraper and the inner portion that is heavy, yet pliable.

I deformed the inner part my first attempt. To be sure of no leaks, I decided to get a new seal and try again. The next try will have the motor OFF the engine stand ...

I am assuming the white inner ring is like a alignment tool? Align the ring with the flange on the crank and slide the seal/cover into place?

Also, I've been told to install it dry (my engine builder) and install it with some sort of lubricant/oil (a GM tech) ... which is it?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put one side of the inner portion over the crank and streched the rest over with my fingers ( using both hands ) while at the same time pushing the cover in. The seal is tight enough to center the cover. I bought 2 seals right away as I suspected trouble but succeeded with the 1st attempt anyway. Maybe I was lucky...

Helms manual says install it dry.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't get an answer, shoot me a PM tonite and I'll look it up in my Helms. If it's like the front seal, it's supposed to be installed dry though.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, guys ... I have a Helm's and that is what I read as well ... Then the GM tech told me otherwise.

Helm's is a good resource, but it also said to torque the rear brake caliper bolts to 78ft/lbs. They snap off at about 60 ... don't ask how I know ...

So, I attempt to get as much info as possible and make a decision upon consensus ...
Old 07-06-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine dry.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:08 PM
I can shift faster than you.

I always put a little oil on the OD of the seal, not any on the ID where the crank actually contacts. I have always used the GM service tools to install them.

The white plastic piece is just there for shipping so the seal does not get damaged. You can toss that in the trash.

Jason
Old 07-06-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

When I put mine on the crank, I first put some oil on the crank AND the seal so they would slide over eachother better. Then I just started with one side and worked it on with my fingers. After about 5 mins of bitching/swearing/screaming at it I finally got it on and it does not seem to be leaking (after a few startups the flywheel is still dry so....).