Sponsored by:

A few noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few noob questions

Hi all,
I just got my HPTuners today and just read my VCM, tried to change a few little things (fan temps, speedo cal, etc) and upload a modified file to the VCM. All went well, I think.

The first thing I want to do is to get rid of the DTCs that come up. My car doesn't have EGR, AIR, A/C, or rear O2s. I think that I turned off the EGR, but the "Low Voltage EGR" error still came up. I also got errors for the other things listed. How do I turn these things off?

When I was watching the scanner while the car was idling in the garage, the O2 voltages would fluctuate but a lot of times they would go down to double digits. Is this ok? Also, I think my fuel trim on one side was maxing out, because it was in the 20s alot of the time. I have two new Bosch O2 sensors in the car, if that makes a difference. It's raining, so I can't take the car for a drive and log anything other than idling tonight.

Thanks for any help. (I hate posting these noobie questions, but I have to start learning somewhere...)
-Matt
Old 07-21-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Hi all,
I just got my HPTuners today and just read my VCM, tried to change a few little things (fan temps, speedo cal, etc) and upload a modified file to the VCM. All went well, I think.

The first thing I want to do is to get rid of the DTCs that come up. My car doesn't have EGR, AIR, A/C, or rear O2s. I think that I turned off the EGR, but the "Low Voltage EGR" error still came up. I also got errors for the other things listed. How do I turn these things off?

When I was watching the scanner while the car was idling in the garage, the O2 voltages would fluctuate but a lot of times they would go down to double digits. Is this ok? Also, I think my fuel trim on one side was maxing out, because it was in the 20s alot of the time. I have two new Bosch O2 sensors in the car, if that makes a difference. It's raining, so I can't take the car for a drive and log anything other than idling tonight.

Thanks for any help. (I hate posting these noobie questions, but I have to start learning somewhere...)
-Matt

Double Digits are OK for a second but if it stays there constantly than there is an issue. If your LTFT's are different from one side to the next and they are a good bit different like > 3 or 4 you most likely have an exhaust leak somewhere on that bank. I usually will see an occassional 1 or 2 point difference but they shoud be very close to each other or identical.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, the sensors are just going to double digits for a fraction of a second, then back up to ~800-950.
Ah... exhaust leak!!! That EGR blockoff plate might not be sealing. I'll have to check it. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

A maxed out fuel trim that doesnt seem to go down is usually typical of a leak, whether it be exhaust or vacuum. Go to Edit -> Engine Diagnostics -> DTC's to disable your codes. I have !EGR !AIR !Rear o2's. The codes I got rid of were:

EGR: P0405
O2s: P0140
o2s: P0160
AIR: P0410

You want to keep SES enabled and just set the code to 3 - No Error Reported. Find all the codes your car is throwing using Scanner (Tools -> View DTC's -> Read DTC's) Disable the ones associated with the stuff you have deleted, just make sure they are legitimate codes that need to be deleted b/c the system is gone and not codes that are set because of a problem. Might also want to clear the EGR Timing table since you have deleted EGR and disable COT, EGR, and AIR. Sorry if you already knew some of this; likewise, if you need more help just post up
Old 07-22-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks SidewaysOZ. I just went in and disabled the useless codes that were being reported.

I'm also getting some misfire codes, which I have read are not unusual on a cammed car running on the stock tune. Are these dangerous, assuming that I get everything else in line? I'm going to a track day on Monday and may not be able to learn enough to be able to adjust the tune in the next few days. It is going to be a problem to drive it for seven 20 minute lapping sessions? I've heard people drove for a while on the stock tune, but I don't know if they did it on a track where I'll probably average 5000rpm for 20 minutes at a time.

Or maybe fixing the exhaust leak will solve the misfire codes....

Thanks,
Matt