Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding things to remove for weight...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding things to remove for weight...

Okay, I'm thinking about removing some stuff from under the car for weight. I need to know what heat shielding can be removed safely. I want to keep the shielding that is around the fuel lines. But what about the shielding that runs along the passenger side and near the rear seat...I am assuming this is to keep it from heating up the floorboard? What about the shielding near the gas tank?

Can the e-brake system be removed easily? How is it done and how much weight will it save?

Are all the plastic panels under the front of the car necessary? Can I remove them and keep the airdam there?

Anything else under the car that can be safely removed for a daily driver?

I'm also thinking about taking out my rear bumper support. I have thought about taking out the front one, but I'm afraid there will be too much damage from a minor accident with the engine being up front.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need help finding things to remove for weight...

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by quickWS6:
<strong>....Anything else under the car that can be safely removed for a daily driver?

I'm also thinking about taking out my rear bumper support....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Think about what you are saying. "Daily Driver", "Safely removed", "rear bumper". One of those phrases doesn't belong.

Obviously it's your car and you can do what you want....but do you think your health/safety is worth 19lbs off the back of your car. Remember....you have a gas-tank bank there.

FWIW...I'm not sure what kind of catback you run, but I recently had the local shop weld a flange on my SLP Dual/Dual catback. The flange is located where the over-the-axle pipe enters the muffler (it's same flange used for Cutouts). By unscrewing 3 bolts, and undoing the rubber hangers, I can pull my entire Muffler/Tailpipe section off the car while at the track. That assembly weighs in at 37 lbs. When I'm done racing I just rehang it back on the rubber hangers, mate up the flanges, tighten the screws and it's back to the quiet as stock setup.

Again, I'm not sure what your catback setup looks like, but this could be a safer alternative to ripping out your bumper supports.