Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Might look for a daily driver/4 door???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

Default Might look for a daily driver/4 door???

I might need to get a car that is client-friendly and the Tahoe for sure is not (x-police package and it's a bit beat) and the 98 Formula is basically a race car that I drive on the street.

Here are my choices:

300C
Evo
STi
Neon SRT

I lean a bit to the Evo since it's AWD (Chicago winters) and it seems to have nicer parts than the WRX. Friend just got one for $28K. I like that I might be able to tweak it to mid 12's and still take clients in it... My clients tend to know what rally car and SCCA racing is so they would find the car interesting.

I like the 300C but it's RWD and frankly it's the new pimpsta ride around here.

Talk amongst yourselves, thoughts?

PSJ

98 formula
99 tahoe ls, 2wd, x-mi hwy patrol, 134k, petty blue
Old 07-25-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW Jeremy has an EVO, and I love his car...with light mods it absolutly humiliates my Trans Am. That said my main objection to the EVO/WRX STi is twofold. First they have a very cheap feeling interior and look like the sub $20K cars they're based on. Secondly they perform to absolutly amazing levels but in a way that causes them to be darty nervous and high-strung in normal driving. For pure driving pleasure for the money they are a fantastic value, and 4-doors and a trunk can't be beat, but the rental car interior and inability to tone down the character of the car's road manners are critical issues for me. Sometimes I want to just run to the store and get some milk and I don't want the Rally car drama these cars require.

Now on the 300C they are releasing both an SRT version and an AWD version this fall so you may want to check them out. (not sure if there will be an AWD SRT though).

Another option if you want to go a little more mature is the SAAB 9-2x which is a reskined non-STi WRX with a nicer interior.

Some other models to consider:
BMW 330i Performance package. 4-doors and E36 M3 performance.
Infinit G35 Sedan and AWD: mid 14s but they have much more upscale interiors than the Subaru.
Subaru Legacy: A little slower than a WRX, both the interior and exterior are a significant step up. There is also a 350hp STi version coming to market shortly:
Old 07-25-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd consider the following for your needs, though I don't know how real important tweakability is in a daily driver, especially for ferrying around people on business.

2005 Cadillac CTS

2005 Chrysler 300C (soon with AWD)

2005 Dodge Magnum RT (soon with AWD)

2005 Pontiac GTO (400HP LS2, and a sedan amount of room in the back for passengers)

2005 Saab 9-2X

2005 Saab 9-3

Last edited by TriShield; 07-25-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

And none of you mentioned the upcoming Cadillac STS? Also available with AWD provided you opt for the Northstar. Nice pics of nice rides you guys posted. Those shots really bring out the best in those vehicles.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
And none of you mentioned the upcoming Cadillac STS?
Starting at $40,995, it's considerably more expensive than the cars he listed.

And frankly, I don't think the new STS will have much, if anything, over a 300C in any respect though it costs thousands more.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:18 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Is the Saab only available as a wagon? If you say it's available as a sedan I would be very interested.

300C AWD might be pricey, wanted to stay in the 25-30k range. CTS V6 would make me want a CTS-V.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Is the Saab only available as a wagon? If you say it's available as a sedan I would be very interested.

300C AWD might be pricey, wanted to stay in the 25-30k range. CTS V6 would make me want a CTS-V.
I would be all over a SAAB 9-2x Sedan, but sadly I don't think they're offering that yet....damn wierdo Swedes... It's not like WRX wagons are filling the roads or anything. At any rate I think the car looks good with the SAAB styling, but it is regretful it's not an STi-tuned car. I would recomend looking at the Legacy though, it seams like a more substanual car than the WRX. BTW I also looked at a 9-3 and was not impressed by that car at all. FWD and BMW price tag...and the interior was less than spectacular. Haven't driven a 9-2x yet though...
Old 07-26-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

BTW if you're willing to step up to $40K for a used car you can get a 2000 M5 or a 2003 Merc C32. The C32 runs 13.0 flat stock and the guys on the AMG forums have pulled them into the mid to low 12s with a pully swap. After spending time with both though I would take the slower M5, it's much nicer.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I will not consider any used cars for the daily driver.

Anne does not like WRX or 300C. I am not interested in 300C since I'm sure it's a dreadful winter car for up here.

Evo RS (lightweight) is a strong possibility, comes in white or red only.

Saab 92X will not be out in a sedan for the foreseeable future so that's out. They're listing the hatchebacks at $26-29K so it's not much of a deal either.

The selling point on paper of the Evo RS is that it's lighter, does not have that wing, and would sell for like $26,500 but still come with the Enkei wheels and the Brembos.

Any other cars in the $25-30K range that are interesting?
Old 07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

I will not consider any used cars for the daily driver.
Thats a shame I was just getting ready to recomend a B4 generation Audi S4. AWD and twin turbo V6, they run the high $20Ks used and pull 13 flat with minimal mods. Not to mention they have a damn nice interior.
Anne does not like WRX or 300C. I am not interested in 300C since I'm sure it's a dreadful winter car for up here.
Even with the AWD? As a southerner I have no clue what makes a car a good or bad winter driver. Snow is like cold wet beach sand right?
Evo RS (lightweight) is a strong possibility, comes in white or red only.
You don't want the RS, you want the EVO MR Alcantera interior and 300 pounds less than a standard EVO
Saab 92X will not be out in a sedan for the foreseeable future so that's out. They're listing the hatchebacks at $26-29K so it's not much of a deal either.
It would be a slick car as a sedan. It's also a shame it doesn't get the STi trim, which, for the price, it should.

The selling point on paper of the Evo RS is that it's lighter, does not have that wing, and would sell for like $26,500 but still come with the Enkei wheels and the Brembos.

Any other cars in the $25-30K range that are interesting?
EVO MR
Audi A4 AWD (FWIW the Turbo 4 is really easy to get in the 13s)
VW Touregg V6 (Yes I know it's an SUV, but the interior is the nicest I've seen in an automobile this side of a Range Rover)
Mazda RX8 (not my first choice...very tiny)
G35 Sedan AWD (getting 277hp this year and a new front Fascia)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...775&highlight=
FWIW There is a HUGE Selections of Turbos and Superchargers for the new G35.

You may also be able to get a great deal on a Infiniti M45. I hear rumors they were going for $15K under sticker. The exterior is bland, but it has a great interior and a 345 hp V8.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

PS I think the Audi A4 1.8T Quatro starts around $27K so that gives you plenty of mod money to put it in the 13's and still have cash left over for a decent body kit.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Father'law has a 98 A4 Audo and it's okay.

Evo has the easy potential of mid to high 12's and it would be good in snow.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:19 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My co-worker has an EVO. It's a decent car but he's selling it, possibly for the MR. He has a few tweaks from Vischnu (sp?) Performance. His best is a 13.0, but has since blown his front and center diffs. Not an expensive fix, and he's not the only one who's had the problem. I'm quite sure it's a BIG problem with any of the cars that are driven somewhat hard. (as they should be)

Awesome winter car, I drove it during a decent snow storm and the thing was fun as hell. As long as your light on the gas you can get around just fine, but when you get on it, you can get that thing to go crazy. Good fun for sure. The Audi will probably go through the snow a bit better.

It does have 4 doors, but the back seats are nothing great. I didn't fit in them, but I'm 6'4". The Recaros are nice, stops great with the Brembos. I say save the money on the Enkeis and buy some SSRs or the like. My buddy powdercoated his Enkeis black and through snow tires on them. Now his got some silver SSRs and the thing looks pretty good.

IMO, it's a decent car, but I wouldn't buy one. Mitsubishi drivetrain has always been sub par, and there are a few better choices in the field. I would personally take a used S4 over the Evo any day of the week. If your set on the Jap makes though, the is Evo > the STI.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I look at an S4 every day, a guy in my building has one... exterior does not excite me. But I appreciate all the inputs.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was bored at work today and was looking at GM service information and found that the 05 Pontiac Grand Prix has a listing for a 5.3! Looked like a LS2 style manifold mounted backwards, a totally different front cover arrangement, and displacement of demand. How bout that for a family car. Its still front drive but i guess you cant have everything.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I am not interested in 300C since I'm sure it's a dreadful winter car for up here.
Like every modern RWD car worth it's salt, the 300C is dimensionally balanced (nearly equal weight distribution), and handles winters just as well as any FWD car if not better. The CTS is the same way. That's the beauty of not being front or rear heavy, great handling all year round and traction.

Obviously AWD is better for winter, but none of the RWD cars I listed will leave you stranded.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

CTS V6 would make me want a CTS-V.
I took one out with the new 3.6L V6. It's quite powerful, and wheel-hop free, not to mention vastly cheaper.

You might want to drive all these cars before you start crossing them off your list.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
I took one out with the new 3.6L V6. It's quite powerful, and wheel-hop free, not to mention vastly cheaper.

You might want to drive all these cars before you start crossing them off your list.
Yea, by the numbers the EVO is the winner for sure.... BTW here is my review of the WRX/EVO from last week
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=drove

Anyhow, The new GTO for instance doesn't shine in any objective test, but it's ride and drive is vastly superior to the G35 Coupe, EVO and STi IMOHO. You never know what car might appeal to you.

speaking of another car for you to consider is the Volvo S60R. It has 300hp from a Turbo 5 Cylinder and AWD.... Of course I know getting married and buying a Volvo in the same year might be a traumatic experience

Great looking interior

Love the Blue Gauges

MSRP $37,250

-Adam
Old 07-27-2004, 11:31 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I am thinking of test driving:

Evo RS
300C 5.7
GTO A4
Old 07-27-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I thought about buying an S60 R last year, until I drove a few.

To put it bluntly, they're total pieces of crap. A used, previous model S4 is a better way to spend money, and is light years ahead of it in every respect. The Volvo was a very disappointing car.

Quick Reply: Might look for a daily driver/4 door???