Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few LS6 Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few LS6 Intake Questions

1) The MAP Sensor in the back: When I put it in, it fastens, but I can still see the very top part of the orange little gasket that covers the end that went in the hole--is this normal or is this going to cause a problem?

2) When I took off the intake, it was really dirty underneath there. The car only has 28k miles, but there were some leaves, some piles of dirt, not at all what I was expecting! Is the only part of the intake that seals up and can actually leak, besides the tb and egr, the intake runners? Is all that other material just for support or something?

3) Is there anyway to check the intake for leaks? Buying used, I am always a little paranoid before I install a part. I filled it with water, and have used the air compressor also, to check around the intake, especially the part where the sensor/vacuum lines plug in. Any other ideas?

4) What should the inside back wall of the intake look like? When I shine the flashlight in there, it looks different than the old LS1 intake where the sensor/vacuum portion is attached to the intake.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

map sensor should be fine, yes all that **** under the intake is o.k., it was there when i swapped mine. the only area that seals is at the ports, you should see that cuz thats the only places that has gaskets. the extra material on the intake is support. i wouldn't worry too much about the intake, i bought mine from moreperformance, it was used, threw it on and it runs perfect. these composite intakes are pretty resilient until you put a flamethrower to them.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Appreciate the input!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Noticed on the JMX install, he mentions:

"The next step is to remove the old coolant lines that run between the heads. There are 4 bolts holding it down at each end of the "X" shaped pipe. Be carefull with the bolts, you don't want them falling into the intake ports of your heads. The front passenger side will be held down with a double ended bolt...the PVC rubber hose has a grounding strap going to it which is held on by a nut. This nut is secured to the hose so you dont need to worry about it falling in the intake ports.
There are also 2 green plastic clips that hold the knock sensor wires to the old coolant pipe. These clips need to be totally removed since they wont fit under the new manifold. Peel off the tape holding them to the wire and they'll come right off. "

4) I did not have anything attached to any of the coolant lines when I took them off, no ground hose or whatever, anyone else have this same situation?

5) Do you need to remove all the tape from the mesh that covers the knock sensor wires, I just removed the clips.