Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much valvetrain noise is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much valvetrain noise is normal?

I'm not sure if the noise that I'm hearing is normal or not. I've only had the car running for a couple of weeks and only put a few hundred miles on it (including about 50-75 miles on Monday on the road course). I'm getting some ticking from the valve covers but it could just be normal, I dunno.

My setup:
2000 LS1 (shortblock rebuilt by APE)
stock LS1 heads
Comp 918 springs
Thunder hardened pushrods
Thunder 224/224-112 cam

I just pulled the valve covers and the rockers were tight and everything seemed normal. I loosened them and then torqued them back down to 22ft-lbs just to make sure. I fired the car back up and it sounded the same.

Maybe I'm just paranoid and that's how it's supposed to sound. It's not setting any codes and not sensing any knock. (Would excessive valvetrain noise cause false knock?)

Am I just paranoid or is there something else that I should check. I'm supposed to go to the drag strip tomorrow, so I'd like to figure this out asap.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-29-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

ttt
Old 07-29-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

with my ramp rate/hardened parts/spring rates/shaft mounts/etc. I can hear my valve train over open headers......

what you are hearing is the valves "snapping" shut as they come down fast/hard due to the faster ramp rates. If something were REALLY WRONG, you would know it right away. Check around and just make sure nothing is hitting anywhere (check clearance between the rocker and the spring retainer). My old TR224/224 with stock lifters and rockers made a good bit of noise....it's just part of trying to make power....
Old 07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every one of my aftermarket cams sounded like a sewing machine...Aluminum heads just make this sound even worse.