Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much noise with aftermarket pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much noise with aftermarket pistons?

I just discovered that my 20K mile motor has 40% leakdown in one cylinder and 33 in another. The best one is 12%. Soooo .... it looks like I will have to go into the motor this winter. I doubt that just ringing it will fix it so I am assuming pistons and rings.
Back in the day, forged solid skirt pistions rattled like a bitch cold and still rattled warm. If you wanted a quiet engine, you put slipper skirt cast or forged pisons in at 1.5 thou or such. What is the story today?
Do (for instance) Diamond pistons rattle hot and cold? Just cold?
What is the install clearance?
Are some brands of pistons quieter than others?
Is one brand better than the others? I see Diamond mentioned a lot.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

In my LS6 block I have the forged Diamonds, Comp-R lifters and Yella Terra's and my motor sounds just like the stock noisy LS1 internals. No one could listen to it and say it's any louder though.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

I cannot speak from expeirience about Diamond pistons or any other popular manufacturer of ls1 forged pistons, but, I do remember back in the day haveing a nice set of pistons meant boring an extra .005" in the block so the piston could grow as it heated up. And yes they did rattle like a bitch when cold. Sounded like a freakin deisel lol. Nowadays piston manufacturers have come up with better stuff that does not need that much clearance and they are relatively quiet. I would call some different manufacturers and tell them what you are lookin for. They will tell you how much clearance they reccomend and you can make a pretty informed decision with that.

Brad
Old 07-30-2004, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by John B
In my LS6 block I have the forged Diamonds, Comp-R lifters and Yella Terra's and my motor sounds just like the stock noisy LS1 internals. No one could listen to it and say it's any louder though.
Thanks John. That is encouraging.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SquintzPallatore
I cannot speak from expeirience about Diamond pistons or any other popular manufacturer of ls1 forged pistons, but, I do remember back in the day haveing a nice set of pistons meant boring an extra .005" in the block so the piston could grow as it heated up. And yes they did rattle like a bitch when cold. Sounded like a freakin deisel lol. Nowadays piston manufacturers have come up with better stuff that does not need that much clearance and they are relatively quiet. I would call some different manufacturers and tell them what you are lookin for. They will tell you how much clearance they reccomend and you can make a pretty informed decision with that.

Brad
Thanks Brad. Nice to see another old schooler These ls1s are really amazing, aren't they? I don't want mine to sound like a deisel! Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I need to call around and see what I can find out.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

I have 3.905 wiseco pistons in my 346-no audible piston slap noise.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

LOL talk about old school. You should have seen me lookin for the distributor in my car when I first bought it. I am a big fan of the Small Block Chevy but these LS1s are the **** for sure. Now I just need to learn how to tune the PCM as well as I could a holley 4150 and a distributor!

Brad

Quick Reply: How much noise with aftermarket pistons?