Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those of You With Any Higher Stall Converter....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For Those of You With Any Higher Stall Converter....

....... did you do a tranny rebuild prior to installing the converter or did you just install the verter and cooler in a stock trans?

For those of you who are running a converter on a stock trans, how long have you been running this way and how much track time does the car see?

The reason I ask is because I purchased a SSF3500 for my TA and was told I should have the tranny rebuilt. I am of the understanding I should have it built to a 4L65E with upgraded servos and clutch packs.

Thanks in advance,

Brett
Old 07-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brett H
....... did you do a tranny rebuild prior to installing the converter or did you just install the verter and cooler in a stock trans?

For those of you who are running a converter on a stock trans, how long have you been running this way and how much track time does the car see?

The reason I ask is because I purchased a SSF3500 for my TA and was told I should have the tranny rebuilt. I am of the understanding I should have it built to a 4L65E with upgraded servos and clutch packs.

Thanks in advance,

Brett
I don't think you should rebuild a tranny unless it died on you, or it's about to die. I think many many people run the converters on stock transmission, i.e. the 4l60e. Sounds like to me, they are trying to milk you for a little bit more money. Maybe someone that is very knowledgeable on transmissions could shed some light on this...
Old 07-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Sweet Cheeks

I've ran a 3200 Vigi and a current YTP in my stock 4l60e with great results. The car sees a lot of WOT. Weekend warrior. I just put a deep pan, big cooler, and a temp gauge on it. Don't fix it if it's not brocken. At least as far as transmissions go.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vig3200 I had was installed on a factory stock 4L60E. It saw the track every Wednesday night for over a year, plus about every weekend I was at the track. It live without a problem for 40K miles. That is when I blew up my trans and diff on a hard launch. Rebuilt the trans with OEM stuff (was lied to about it being beefier) and it survived for a total of 80K until that rebuild killed the thrust bearing and the trans. So I had the trans rebuilt again by my sponsor and installed a TCI4400. No complaints as of yet. I am not saying a converter is going to kill your trans, the hard launches will. If your trans is slipping now or the performance is not there like it used to be ... have them rebuilt it, but only if you seriously/honestly trust them. Otherwise take it to a reputable shop you know and trust. But a trans rebuild is not needed if the trans shifts properly now.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

I have put about 12000 miles on my stock tranny and Yank ss3800.. I go to to nine bracket races a year with atleas two passes.. So I guess you could say we have roughly 40 passes on it.. No problems to report..
Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, this reassures me that the tranny should hold up to the added strain the converter will give it.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

I had a Yank SS3600 in mine for a while and had no problems whatsoever, and it saw pleny of use. I was using a B&M 24k cooler and a deep pan.