Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

new Lotus Elite....or Excel

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new Lotus Elite....or Excel

World exclusive pictures in this week's mag prove Lotus is working on a new GT - and it's set to take on the Noble M12. The mag's spies caught the stunning newcomer testing near the company's headquarters in Hethel, Norfolk

Bosses at Lotus say the car is currently a prototype, but is being seriously considered for a showroom debut. Our sources have hinted that the green light for production is merely a formality, and that the machine could easily be on sale in the UK as soon as 2006.

The manufacturer has already taken on an extra 100 employees recently, chiefly to satisfy increased demand for the Elise both at home and abroad - but it's likely that an all-new model could mean even more jobs being created. The car, which could see the famous Excel or Elite names making a comeback, will slot into the Lotus range above the Elise, and is tipped to weigh in at around the £40,000 mark.

A 2+2 version of the newcomer is also being considered, with a larger cabin allowing for two occasional seats in the rear. If this machine gets the go-ahead, it will be the first four-seater Lotus has produced since the 1984 Excel.

A source told us: "There's a huge amount of excitement surrounding the project. Officially, the machine is a concept in development.

"This is not a replacement for the Elise, but a car that offers touring capability and will be positioned above it in the market." The model will feature a sporty new chassis, using the same bonded aluminium structure as the Elise, and will come with a mid-mounted engine.

Article from: Auto Express

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae...y.php?id=48840

PhotoChop on cover:
Old 08-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As we all know, the Esprit isn't being made anymore. I wonder if this is going to be the direct replacement (for a car the size and at least as fast as the Esprit).

I'm gonna say a prayer that they keep that exotic look. It doesnt look too promising from that picture.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe DIESO
As we all know, the Esprit isn't being made anymore. I wonder if this is going to be the direct replacement (for a car the size and at least as fast as the Esprit).

I'm gonna say a prayer that they keep that exotic look. It doesnt look too promising from that picture.
No, historically the Excel has slotted between the Base model (Elise, Elan, etc) and Esprit. Sort of as Lotus-take on a Touring GT car. I'm willing to bet it will come in at a 911/Jag XK price range....

-Adam
Old 08-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want the next generation Esprit already

Quick Reply: new Lotus Elite....or Excel