Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion angle tools and question im a little confused.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default pinion angle tools and question im a little confused.

Hi
First has anyone here used the proform pinion instalation tool, is it any good? what else would you recomend?
Second- with regaurds to setting pinion angle its the angle between the rear end and drive shaft right, the confusion sets in in the installation hight ofte trans and angle of it. If the plane of the yokes are too be within 2 degs of each other then when you set the pinion for eg. 6deg neg it changes the planes of the yoke, do do you have to shim thetrans up to bring the yokes in plane again? If so doesnt the pinion angle alte itselfif you do shim the trans?
any help or advice greatly appriciated!
Old 08-04-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background- Pinion angle is set to keep the driveshaft, rear end, and transmission in alignment under acceleration. You can shim the tranny down a little in the back, but without a motor plate setup, you can't make enough adjustment. To set pinion angle, measure the angle of the pinion yoke against the angle of the driveshaft.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on pinion angle. This has been debated a bunch on here.

I personally think it's NOT simply the angle between the pinion and driveshaft. I've set mine that way and it resulted in a bad vibration. I set it off the trans angle.

As far as the pinion setting tool, I've debated buying one, but every good installer I've asked says they are worthless. All it does is gets you close. Just set the pinion depth by the contact pattern.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pinion angle is defined as the difference between driveshaft angle, and pinion gear angle. You can also set trans angle by use of shims.