Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning for MPG?

I'm taking a trip to NC next week and was thinking about trying to tune my truck for the best MPG I could get. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking about increasing the IFR table in small increments at a time and decreasing spark in the ranges where KR showed up. Would this work, or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Perry
Old 08-07-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

adjust the target AFR to leaner, as long as you aren't hauling azz the car can take a little leaner stance in closed loop mode but may generate more heat but since the vehicle isn't under a heavy load (mountains,towing,etc) it can prob dissapate the heat. You can also add more timing and rely on the extra octane to give more mpg but i suggest you bring your laptop. If you are taking a trip to NC i guarantee you will at some point get some CRAP GAS at some podunk city and you don't wanna ping the crap out of the motor.

question is it all really worth 1-2mpg? You could just put 89 octane in and lay off WOT and you would probably get the same EFFECTIVE mpg cost/mile.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:22 AM
wrencher

Actually if your stock you have about the best programming for MPG in there, the OE one.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Teching In

No it's probably not worth it, but I just wanted to experiment since I'm still trying to learn. I already planned on bringing my laptop and there won't be any WOT, 85% of the driving will be cruise control. There will be some mountains through PA, but I going to try to stay on the safe side so it shouldn't be a problem. As I said, this is just going to be a learning experiment for me. Thanks for the input.

Perry