Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Stripped out rocker arm bolt hole in the head!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:32 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Stripped out rocker arm bolt hole in the head!!!

This simple cam swap and put on bolt-ons has turned into a ******* nightmare yet again. After getting the head on (had to take it off b/c a rocker arm dumped needle bearings in the motor) and getting close to finished after a ******* month of working on it every spare minute...The number 7 very rear rocker arm (this was not the bad rocker arm) started getting close to the 22 ft/lbs tq spec, and BOOM! It and the spring ******* pop up. Can I use something to re-thread this hole and get a new bolt? Or What should I do???
Old 08-09-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

use an easyout to get the broken part out. Use a tap to re-thread it. Then use this link to see how many other people have done this before you... https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php

Also, from what I have read, the head doesn't need to come off from needle bearings, they will make thier way to the bottom of the motor and come out when you drain the oil.
-Steve
Old 08-09-2004, 06:22 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

You can try a heli-coil kit to rethread it and put a new steel thread insert in it and still use the stock rocker bolt. You'd need an angle drill to drill out the old threads though. Don't tighten rockers with spring pressure on them.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:33 PM

Thanks guys. Glad to know I'm not the 1st to do this.

I my case, the head did need to come off. The rocker arm needle bearing retainer somehow got down the pushrod hole and I couldn't get it out any other way. Plus, I wanted to see how many needle bearings were still down there.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:07 PM

Which option is easier with the head on the car to get at the hole ALL THE WAY under the windshield?

Quick Reply: HELP! Stripped out rocker arm bolt hole in the head!!!