Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny going or overreacting

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny going or overreacting

Well, its been awhile since it happened, so I may be fuzzy on some of the details. Anyhow here goes

Went to the race track, 1st run everything seems fine except that I ran a 12.85 when the last time I was knocking down 12.4-12.5 like it was out of style. Figured to myself "Ok its hot as **** out here and it felt weak up top, must be the weather"

2nd run and its even hotter now, pull up to the burnout box and the burnout felt real weird, I had my foot on the brake but the car kept pushing forward (my friends say I wasn't spinning both wheels) but then I don't understand why I kept moving forward.

Pull up to the light, and start stalling it up. Bring it to 2500, raise it a little more to 2750 (usually the max as to where I can stall it to) but it doesn't feel like its giving any resistance. So I stall it a little more and to my surprise it goes to about 2900 and now that the light has been green I decide its time to go, I let of the brake and mash the gas and I pull about a 3 sec 60ft, obviously it was extremely weak. So I continue with the rest of the 1/4 anf about 3/4 down the track I noticed the car is not gonna shift (didn't redline or anything, more of a feeling+observation I guess) so I let off it. So it stood in the same gear from 0-90 which makes me expect that the car started in 2nd gear and wouldn't shift up top.

Anyhow I pulled into a parking spot and let the car chill for an hour or so while everyone told me my tranny is fried. So in disgust I decided to go home, car ran perfect the entire way home, shifted nicely and everything.

Now fast forward another month, car still feels good, shifts well, only it seems that the converter is a little looser than usual. Not sure if its because I have been using the AC a little more often or not, it just seems a tad bit looser.

I haven't had a chance to get the fluid changed, haven't driven the car much since the track.

My mods are basic bolt-ons with headers and a Yank SS3800 converter. It was only my 6th pass with the converter, and I have put about 3500 miles on the converter, some of it spirited driving, but not much.

So what are your opinions, am I just overreacting and its nothing, or is this the beginning of the end?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Which trans cooler do you have? Were you hot lapping? Maybe the trans got too hot and went into limp mode.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

I wish I had a tranny guage so I knew exactly what was going on.....But I wasn't hot lapping, there was about an hour in between each run, but I did have to turn my car off just before I went because a car broke half way down the track.

The cooler I am using is a B&M 24K cooler....Thats what I was thinking, the tranny got pissed at me and didn't feel like making that pass...aka limp mode
Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Any other opinions?