Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Best Drag Setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Drag Setup

What is the best bolt on setup for running drag slicks/skinnies?

I am reading that Welds required a lot of fabbing and to go with the Bogarts. So what exactly would be a good combo on an LS1 ??

I want to get something like a 15X10 with ET Drag without having to use spacers or grinding calipers or anything like that. Is there such a wheel??

Please post front and back specs...

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a little caliper work your best bet is either a Convo Pro or a Bogart. I have Weld Pro Stars and like them. I did have a set of Convo Pro fronts and they fit with no work. I sold them to a friend and he is using them now. I don't think you can get a set of Convo Pros in a 10" wheel for the back with the right spacing. I could be wrong.

I went with the Weld setup based on price (15X3.5 and 15X10). Yes I got to spend time with a grinder and I do use spacers with longer ARP studs. The grinding wasn't that bad but did take some time. The studs are a must have in mind so that was not an issue.

the choice is yours. You can spend the $$ on the Bogarts, get the Convo Pros, or work on getting the Welds to fit.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Steve summed it up very well. An 8 inch rim isn't recommended for the larger width tires we can use on F-bodies, i.e. 26x11.5 etc. Centerline doesn't make a large enough backspace for their 10's. Face it, traction is usually an issue for most, putting the widest tire and most sticky is best...limiting yourself to a smaller tire isn't in most folks best interest.

Our Bogart’s will cost you a few dollars more then economy rims, though there are some benefits for using Bogart’s. I designed them to be a direct fitment while fitting them inside the wheel-well was taken into consideration. We also come in at the lightest compared to the others. By choosing a set of Bogart’s over prostars for example is like loosing a min of 50 lbs of static weight off of your car (converting rotational weight to static weight). Centerlines are one of the heaviest of “drag” rims. Another great benefit for the Bogart’s is their appearance. Finish is show-quality!

If cost is your main issue while appearance and ease of fitment takes the backburner, since the smaller centerline is not the choice of many, the economy series welds are your only other alternative (in my opinion)... (Regarding appearance, I'm referring to the actual finish not design...from a material luster standpoint) (Various alloys will polish differently....Different grade aluminum alloy will NOT polish the same nor will it retain the same depth of color!) Bogart’s use ONLY high-grade alloys i.e. 6061-T6 which have outstanding polishing potential as well as depth of color.

Face it, I feel the Bogart’s are the cream of the crop; unfortunately, they are not in everyone’s budget. To be honest, if appearance is a concern, rims can make/break a car's appearance...in person, nothing compares to the Bogart’s...pictures don't do them justice. As previously mentioned, the material used allows a very fine-quality polished appearance over the other economy rims. On a side note, economy rims are not built for to be the best, they are built for economy. You need to go to a weld high-end rim such as an alumastar 2 to get the same type of materials as we use as well as appearance...cost wise, they are in the same range...just not a direct fitment though.

Sometimes, I see folks trying to save a few hundred dollars with economy rims. They sacrifice adding a MIN of 50 lbs of converted static weight by choosing an economy series rim...later, they purchase additional aftermarket lightweight parts since they want to *loose as much weight as possible*. In the end, they spent at least if not more then they would have by just picking up the Bogart’s...

In the end, they are taking off less while spending MORE...don't get me wrong, choosing the lightest rims AND those other lightweight parts are the best option. Rotational weight should NEVER be overlooked! Bottom line, the less weight the better, don't let HP get sucked away with heavy rotational parts though!

This is a passion for me. Any questions or concerns can be directed to me. I attempt to give each client as much knowledge as possible so each person can make his or her best educated decision. Customer satisfaction in the end is most important, not just selling a particular rim. Bogart’s aren't for everyone and I will tell people this on the phone and the net. I've many times suggested to customers to choose a different rim after they told me their goals...they did upon my suggestion go with another brand. Once again, customer satisfaction is what needs to be met.

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 08-12-2004 at 01:28 AM.