Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise under hood, can't tell what it is

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise under hood, can't tell what it is

I have a '99 Camaro SS and there's a noise under my hood coming from the engine. I was told it's coming from the passgener side.

I can't hear the noise because i'm hard of hearing (wear hearing aids) and can't tell from small squeaks or crap like that going on if it's low, I can't even tell if the brakes are squeaking unless it's bad enough I can feel it.

My gf tells me there's a printer like noise or squeaking noise coming from the passgener side. I asked my bro to listen to it, I looked after the belt tenisor which is on the passgener side and he pointed to it too
(the top one, near the EGR), I then took a socket and put it on with a breaker bar, pulled a lil on it and held it, the noise went away.

I replaced the belt recently and it only made it a bit quieter.

It has been like almost a year since he hear it last (he's too busy with his auto parts store trying to keep up with a car and motorcycle payments)

The gf still says it's making noise on the passgener side

Could it still be this making a printer like noise? I was considering getting a Katech tenisor but haven't had the spare funds until now.

And last I heard, the katech tensior doesn't come with a pulley and I'd either have to take the stock one off the stock tensior. Or get a "larry" pulley from ASP (last I heard they made limited supply and won't make more unless they get a high demand for them)
Old 08-22-2004, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a Lexmark, check for paper jams.

Hehe, I am unfamiliar with that sound in a car. Could be a slightly bent push rod or valve. Also, the LS1's do tend to make weird noises from factory.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

stock tensioners are notorious for making noise.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Check all the pulleys on the engine. Several idlers and the tensioners. Most of them can be taken off the engine and taken apart and regreased. I had a noise that sounded like a rocker arm clattering just when the engine was cold. Found out it was the a/c clutch. Bought a new one to replace it but ended up shooting the old one with lubricant and let it sit over night. Wiped up the excess and it's been quiet ever since.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe the tenisor on the top of the engine close to the battery can be disassembled due to a high tension spring inside which can cause harm if attempted to.