Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tub Headers – time to fish or cut bait

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Long Tub Headers – time to fish or cut bait

I will be installing long tubes headers immediately after NHRA Division bracket finals (Oct 1). I have a tendency to over analyze things and have just about worn out the search feature on here. Kind of overloaded myself with too much information – a lot of which is conflicting.

I had originally been leaning towards Jet Hots but then read several posts on here complaining about rusting within just a year or two. So now I am 90% settled on QTP’s w/ their catted y-pipe and a cut-out. However, while discussing my choice at the track last weekend, I got two negatives that are causing me to have second thoughts:

1) I was told that the standard collectors on QTP’s are much smaller and more restrictive than other brands supposedly resulting in relatively poorer performance gains.
2) I was also told that coated headers, while more prone to rust, deal much better with exhaust heat somehow. This was purported to put QTP’s (or any stainless) at a disadvantage for performance.

Can anyone tell me anything definitive? Can any of the above be supported or refuted by any dyno test results?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is that jet hot's seem to be the most recommended by all the ls1 shops I've been to, and they aren't the most expensive headers they sell either. I'd go with the jet hots.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our standard collector is 3". Not smaller than anyone elses and are not restrictive.

And here is your answer about stainless vs coated mild steel.

Made Only In Stainless Steel
Stainless steel is non-magnetic, a quality that makes them very important in the aerospace industry. Compared to mild steel, stainless steel has superior high temperature characteristics. It is an excellent material for headers and any application where high heat is encountered.

You may have heard talk about maintaining high exhaust velocity and increase scavenging by covering headers with a thermal wrap. In addition, there are companies that coat headers with a thermal barrier, typically some type of ceramic formula, in order to keep the heat inside the exhaust system.

Stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Radiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers to protect the car and the driver from excessive, fatiguing high temperatures.

Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector.

This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency. 304 stainless steel has excellent high temperature fatigue resistance in enclosed application and does a darn good job of living in this hostile environment better than any other material.

These many characteristics, such as superior heat retention properties, high temperature fatigue resistance, and to a lesser extent, the cosmetic value of a non-rusting finish, combine to make stainless steel an ideal choice for headers. Our system will produce more horsepower and last "'til the cows come home"

Any questions feel free to call us.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Phew, thanks Barry you saved me some typing.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mr. Ed,
I don't know who said they are smaller and more restrictive. 3" is 3". And poorer performance, I don't know but my car made 338hp/347tq with the QTP's and everything in the sig. I would say thats about average for the mods correct?? I love the headers, they are awesome and I'm sure there are plenty others with QTP's that can vouch for that. And the ss vs. coated debate, well QTP gave you some nice reading material lol.
-Joe
PS-if it sounds like there was any bit of attitude in this post, there wasn't and sorry if you took it that way man!!