Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hp tuners vs dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hp tuners vs dyno tune

So which do i want? If I get a dyno tune hp tuners is no good to me right? But I can always tune my car w/ hp tuners and I can buy dyno time and tune myself much cheaper than a dyno tune every time. But how much more power could i get from someone at say tea, mti, ect?

Also can i get someone at hp tuners or on here to make a tune for me? Would that be better than a dyno tune depending the person?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

If you can find someone else's tune that matches what you've got on your car/truck, that's a pretty good shortcut.

That being said, everyone's drivetrain's differ performance-wise. Some engines are just stronger than others. I know that with the LS1 that you can have stock engines come off the assembly line one after the other and they can vary from 290 to 310 horsepower -- and they're the same engine! Trannies and TCs have similar performance variances as well.

The bottom line with tuning, as I see it, is the experience of the tuner. It's a blend of art and science. Some are just better than others. That's why your local neighborhood grease monkey doesn't offer tuning services for your high performance sport car or truck. It's just too easy to screw it up.

Tuning yourself is OK if you feel confident about the changes you're making. For others, it might be best to install your performance mods then take it to a trusted, experienced professional tuner that has experience with your type of vehicle.

Hope this helps to some small degree.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

personally, i like tuning the car myself. im still learning, and i dont know enough about the pcm to do any major changes yet, but once im comfortable i'll be able to tune and returne whenever i want. if you get a dynotune, then you make more changes later on, you will have to pay everytime you need a retune. so in the end, it's more cost effective to just learn to do it yourself. just my opinion
Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

I think i will try hp tunders but iw as kinda wondering if I would lose like 3hp 10hp or like 20hp over going w/ a dyno tune.

Losing 10 hp to me isnt much at all when you consider the amount of experience you get doing it yourself because you will slowly begin to gain the 10 as you go along. But 20 hp it a lot. For 20hp I would just go dyno tune.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

well it really depends just how into this you are. to properl tune your car you will also need a wideband (about $300) and a lot of patience, since you have to make small changes at a time and log the results. im not sure, but it sounds to me like you might just be better off with a good dyno tune. if that's the case, and IF you are going to do anymore engine mods (heads, cam, FI), wait until after the mods, because with your current setup you probably won't pick up much from a dynotune.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

It will be over a year before i finish my car. I want it to run in the 11s eventually and maybe add a s/c so i might as well go ahead and buy hp tuners the good things about hp tuners is u can sell it and get most of the money back.

oh thankgs for the help.

Quick Reply: hp tuners vs dyno tune