Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I have 273's! Help!*

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have 273's! Help!*

wats up everyone? heres my situation... yah i have 273 gears on my car and i was pritty much set on buying 373 thinking i was going to get much better times.. but after reading through alot of the posts here a lot of people are saying no? not much of a diffrence ? Money is a issue here, i am a student and have only bolt-ons and am not planning on any major modifications to the enigine. So heres my question.. Whats the best single thing i can do to improve times?? Thank you for your help
Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StyLishSS
wats up everyone? heres my situation... yah i have 273 gears on my car and i was pritty much set on buying 373 thinking i was going to get much better times.. but after reading through alot of the posts here a lot of people are saying no? not much of a diffrence ? Money is a issue here, i am a student and have only bolt-ons and am not planning on any major modifications to the enigine. So heres my question.. Whats the best single thing i can do to improve times?? Thank you for your help
Don't spend the money on gears. A TCI 3000 TC and cooler is only about $450-$500(not including install). That would gain you a lot more than gears for for nearly the same money.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

Mostly everone will recommed a TC. I want to soon,but I put in 3.42s to potentially match it with a better stall. I noticed a difference from 2.73 were they kidding?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

yo thanks for the output fellas but uh where can i buy a TCI 3000 TC and cooler for you say 450-500$ ill look into it myself as soon as i get some time.. but a suggestion would be much help.

Also they wern't kidding, ive read a lot of the posts and people have been complaining about noise and say they've only gained .1 or .2 of a second from upgrading to a 373. not to mention bad on highways and a drop in gas milage. i dunno but thank you
Old 09-03-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: In the Keebler elves freg'n tree house eating freg'n cookies

My gears are dead quite.....good install I guess.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want a faster pick up :quicker launch: change ya gears go 3.7s performance of the mark will change very much to your liking. If your worried about fuel, sorry suggest you buy 4 cly rice.apologies for swearing.
If gears are noisy they,ve been installed wrong or are badly worn.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
if you want a faster pick up :quicker launch: change ya gears go 3.7s performance of the mark will change very much to your liking. If your worried about fuel, sorry suggest you buy 4 cly rice.apologies for swearing.
If gears are noisy they,ve been installed wrong or are badly worn.
So your saying that 373's would be more benificial then say a tc? And no i am not worried about gas milage the least bit..