Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think it's time for a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's time for a rebuild

I have a stock tranny with a Vig3200 and a shift kit. It's only had the stall in it about 6-7k miles and the tranny itself has almost 34k on it. Just making sure I need a rebuild before I go pulling the bitch out to find out it was something simple I overlooked.

When going down the road the car shifts from 1st-2nd without a problem. Going from 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th there seems to be some hesitation, even at normal driving or accelerating throttle position. Sound like the tranny is going bye bye to anyone else? Is there anything else I should check that could possibly be causing it? I checked the fluid, it's fine. Tranny cooler is still hooked up and working as it should. No leeks anywhere...

I guess I just want someone to tell me some miracle $10 fix so I don't go drop $700 to rebuild and beef it up this winter. I wanted to do my heads and intake damn it.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

the 3-4 clutch packs could be shot...if your sayinghesitation as a form o describing a slipping tranny then i would think its the clutch packs are worn

J
Old 09-04-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it actually slipping or does it just seem slower than the 1-2 shift. My car has Never shifted as hard in the 2-3, 3-4 as the 1-2. It has something to do with the transmission design, it uses clutches instead of bands btw its been this way since I had the car, 20k miles later it seems to be holding up even with the converter (crosses fingers) It does shift hard at wot.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a hesitation. So bad in fact I have to let off the throttle a little or all the way (depending how hard I'm being) to get it to shift. Clutch packs were my first guess but just didn't want to come to terms with it.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I polished the tranny off the right way yesterday. Getting on an onramp behind a 99+ Saleen S351 we both got on it and got to the highway, I got over in the left lane and pulled up with my nose to his door before the car started smacking the rev limiter. Lost 3rd and 4th gears entirely and the top half of 2nd. Pulling the tranny tomorrow and Thursday and having it race built over the weekend by a local hookup. Should be back on the road late next week with a fresh crispy tranny and then I'm going hunting for 11's.