PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Help! Killed my guages, now the dang thing won't even start

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Killed my guages, now the dang thing won't even start

I took my guages out this evening, as I was going to put in some white face guages to see how I liked them. Well I didn't really like the look of them, so I took the white overlay off and put the stock ones back on. I pushed the guages back into where the computer connects, and it all went downhill from there

The only guage I know of for sure that is working right is the voltage one. The rest are all questionable. Even better, when I slighty turn the key, the "ABS INOP" light kicks on. Best part, instead of starting, I get a nasty little grinding noise, and the hatch pops open

I put a little piece of electrical tape to block the SES and Skip Shift lights (I know, I know me -> <- someone else) since the SES is always on and the Skip Shift light gets annoying. Could these two little pieces of electrical tape be what is causing this? Or is it something else?

Will I need to buy a new guage cluster? I need this thing to be able to turn on by Tuesday, so I can drive it to my garage and swap the clutch. I don't really have the money to tow it there!

TIA
Old 09-05-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well after some more tinkering, I think it's just the battery. The headlights and dash lights are extremeley dim, and the alarm barley honks the horn at all. It's trying to click over, but I don't think the battery is giving enough/any juice to start her up. I'll try to jumpstart her in the morning and see what we got then. Any advice is greatly welcome anyway though
Old 09-06-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the gauge fuse also (it's one of the inside the car fuses)... sounds like it may be blown... when blown the car won't start and I believe it sets an abuse code (but I haven't verified) ... maybe you blew the fuse while R&R the gauge cluster? (did you disconnect the battery first? if not I bet this is prolly the problem ... low battery will not cause the gauges to not work)
Old 09-06-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fixed the problem, it was the battery afterall that wouldn't let the car start. Jumped it with the Avalanche, and it started right up! I had fixed all the guages while I was in there, and put a piece of electrical tape to block off the SES and Skip Shift light. So problem solved, mods feel free to delete this if you wish