Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the warning signs of an oil pump going out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the warning signs of an oil pump going out?

Hey guys. I was just wondering what, if anything i should be looking out for. Oil has been changed regularly, every 2200 miles at the very most, and car does not see the upper rpm band too often. What do i look for on the oil pressure gauge.

Right now at idle, oil pressure is about 40, +/- 2 psi. When i first turn the car on oil pressure stays at 60 for a few minutes until the car warms up. I do not drive the car until it warms up, especially when its cold. Should i just cross my fingers and hope for the best, or are there things i can look for to help prevent my car from being towed home. Thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

as far as i know, they just go.....nothin really that warns you. maybe a slight drop in pressure just before.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

I had my oil pressure totally cut out and come back a few times before the valve inside the pump finally siezed up. Did you not replace the pump when you did your cam?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

I bought a cam package from a ls1 speed shop here in cali. They said one was in the package, so i sure as hell hope so.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

If you got a ls6 ported oil pump then you should be good to go, when you totally loose oil press lots of lights come on if I remember right, if it happens just kill your motor and coast to a stop then tow your car.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by term
If you got a ls6 ported oil pump then you should be good to go, when you totally loose oil press lots of lights come on if I remember right, if it happens just kill your motor and coast to a stop then tow your car.
I think i got the ls6. If i do ever see a ton of lights come on, i will make sure to turn the car off. Sure as hell better than buyin a new shortblock.

Quick Reply: What are the warning signs of an oil pump going out?