Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got killed by a junky stock 5.0...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got killed by a junky stock 5.0...

However I was in my VW Golf turbo at the time. This happened twice in the past month where I was in my Golf daily driver and pulled up next to a 5.0. I never seem to find any action when I have the WS6 out .

The first one was in early August and was a very nice looking ~91-93 LX hatch and he sounded like he had at least a flowmaster catback. He pretty much got me on the launch and stayed about 1-1.5 cars ahead through ~60 (we were getting close to town so we couldn't get going too fast). We got on it from a ~35 roll and he was very slowly pulling away through ~50 (again, we were in town by this time so couldn't do much).

The other one was a junky looking ~88-91 GT convertible (sounded, looked, and performed like it was stock or close to it). I spun quite a bit on the launch (these Golfs don't launch well at all...at least not on the stock radials) and he jumped ahead of me. We went till ~60 and the same result as before, he was about 1.5 cars ahead.

All in all I'm pretty impressed with the little VW. It's a good-handling daily driver and it has a little kick in the pants when you need it.