Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T/A Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry T/A Headlight Problem

Drivers side headlight wont pop up at all. I had this problem a while back and just used some wd-40 to lube the linkage and it seemed fine. Car was out for two weeks and now the drivers side wont pop up? I tried the wd-40 but, nothing...

Any idea what it could be?
BTW i used the search and found nothing really.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

The headlamp's motor may have took a **** or the plastic gear inside may have become stripped. If the gear is worn, you can open the motor assembly and either replace the gear with a metal gear(do a search for the replacement gear) or you can simply flip the gear over and use the other side(only half the gear is actually used; so only half will be worn). If the motor is ok then check the weather-tight electrical connector for the lamps motor. Mine was severally corroded and I hadto replace the metal contacts inside the connector(the contacts are available from your local GM dealer in their service department's bulk bin). Make sure you get yourself some di-electric grease for the connector; it will help prevent future corrosion and aid in the transfer of the circuit.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be a corroded connector, as 14u2nv mentioned. The connector is mounted in a location under the headlight that makes it succeptible to filling up with water. I ended-up just replacing the motor. You could probably try splicing-in a new connector, but replacing the motor is a lot easier. And yes, use dialectric grease in the new connector; I also wrapped the connector with silicone shrink wrap, from Radio Shack.