Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Corbeau CR-1s…

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corbeau CR-1s…

Anybody out there have any experience based opinions about Corbeau CR-1 seats???
Old 09-14-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not on the CR-1's but I have the A4's and love em. A friend of mine has the CR-1's and has no problems with them as far as I know... I'll try and get some input from him
Old 09-15-2004, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Iv got them in my 68. They are really comfortable. They fit me great very good lateral suport. Im 5'10" bout and 150 lbs
Old 09-15-2004, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comfort? Appearance? Durability? Ease of installation? Weight?

If you're tall, you can order them "shaved" which takes about 1/2" out of the height. Otherwise they're 1/4" or so taller than stock.

They also come in two widths.

Much more comfortable than the stock seats.

A little more work to get in and out of than stock. I like the seat close to the wheel, so I end up rubbing between the bolster and the wheel when I get in.

The driver side seat plus bracket was lighter than the stock electric cloth seat and the passenger side was heavier than the stock manual cloth seat. The net result was the same weight, to the lb.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Default They're here...

I just got my Corbeau CR-1s today via Thunder Racing (TR). They are more than what I expected and they look great to boot. I got them very quickly after I ordered them last Thursday night from the website. I’m impressed at how quick they got here.

The funny thing is that I called TR to get my tracking number from them this past Monday and they said that they would email or call me with that info later this week. Well, my seats got here before my tracking number info did. COOL!!!

That has NEVER happened before and I have ordered a lot of mail order stuff. Of course I have never ordered anything from TR before. Everything else that I have ordered has been small stuff, but never something this big.

Well off I go to install them in my ride in just a minute here so thanks for your replies to my original posting. I kind of had my doubts, but you and Corbeau have put them to bed.

I’ll let you all know what I think of the fit, form and function as soon as I sit my big *** down in them and take them for a cruise.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

put a helmet on and tell me then tell me how everything fits. (head clearence and so on). I was thinking about these seats but when I go to the track I didnt want my helmet hitting the B-pillar.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tr is a badass company, i always get what i order from them in about 3 days
Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Ya head clearence can be a big problem. I bought some aftermarket seats got the one in the car tried to get in and my head hit the roof. The bottom of the seat is not dished like ours so I had to take them out and send them back. I have been looking for some that fit good with lots of head clearence!!
Old 09-19-2004, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Default Fit, Form and Function…

I have had the regular width, Corbeau CR-1 seats w/lumbar support in my 00 Z28 now for the past five days and here is my analysis/opinion on them. Hopefully this posting will help you make your decisions when it comes time for someone who is going to buy some seats for their ride.

The seats came in one large box and the brackets came in their own separate box. They did not come with instructions, but the assembly process is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you attach the correct bracket on the correct seat. In other words drivers side bracket with drivers side seat and so on and so forth.

After I attached the brackets to the seats I removed the stock seats, which was a very simple process. The new brackets that CR-1 provides, however, are another story. The front two mounting bolts on either passenger or driver’s side were easy to get to, it’s the rear two bolt on both seats that’s the problem. The way that the bracket is designed makes is difficult to attach the mounting nuts.

I found this to be time consuming and frustrating, but I got them in and tightened down. I had to use a ratcheting style wrench because a regular box end or socket configuration just doesn’t work in that tight space. Aside from the difficult time I had installing the seats I am enjoying them quite well.

To give you better idea of my dimensions, I am five foot nine and three quarter inches tall and tip the scales at 280lbs. Yes, I am somewhat of a fat *** at this moment in time, but a muscular fat *** at that. For those of you in denial it translates to “Big boned”. Some of you may say that I should have gotten the wide CR-1s, but I don’t plan on staying this big for very much longer. When I sat in a similar seat 30 lbs ago the seat was very comfortable. Truthfully they aren’t that bad after breaking them in a little and loosing some weight will also help a little too. From the perspective a smaller person, my girlfriend, the seats are great in her opinion. Her dimensions are five foot two inches 120lbs.

The seats design offers very good lateral support in the shoulder, lower back and thigh areas. Something the stock seats just don’t offer, as so many of you already know. This extra needed support was evident after taking a few sharp turns in the streets and throwing the car around some twisty roads here in good old E.P. TX. Even though I just added seats, the car actually feels like it handles better. I know that this is just added confidence due to the fact that I know I won’t slide around my seat any more. Hopefully I won’t get too confident in a corner and slide the *** end out from under me or push the nose into a curb.

The lumbar support is also a must. I didn’t know I actually needed it or the fact that it is nice add on, especially for those of you who have lower back problems or have long commutes throughout the day. I drive 30 plus miles per day in both traffic and freeway situations and that little hand pumped air bag sure feels nice one the back, I definitely recommend it. My girlfriend likes this added feature very much due the fact that she has some lower back problems from her old nursing assistant job. I guess were going to have to put some in her ’99 Toyota Corolla now.

I also recommend that you get a five-way harness or at the very least a four-way harness system. I feel that this add on will also give more complete body support system to the whole package. This is something I plan to do in the near future. My setup will be of the five-point variety, both driver and passenger, utilizing L.G’s. rear harness cross member and their anti-sub bar. This set-up will also keep the safety harnesses from chafing you neck like the stock ones do once the plastic harness stay come off. That, however, is also a quick fix problem, if you plan on keeping your factory seat belts on or until you get the four or five-ways in.

What I did was I unbolted the bottom door-side factory harness mount and passed it through the door side harness loop. This is much better position than the hanging loose alternative and I feel that it positions the harness in much better position, directly over the shoulder.

Some of you had some questions or concerns about the new height or position that you now sit in after installing these seats. The fact of the matter is that yes, you do sit higher and closer to the roof of the car. This may make wearing a helmet a cranially confining situation, especially to those of you who are taller that five foot nine.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea, I know you can get the bottoms of the seats shaved and all, but I dont want to give up comfort either for the sake of a helmet fitting. Where does the added heigth come from the seat itself or the bracket.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stang killer
yea, I know you can get the bottoms of the seats shaved and all, but I dont want to give up comfort either for the sake of a helmet fitting. Where does the added heigth come from the seat itself or the bracket.
I’m not sure, but if I were to guess I would say a combination of both. I am going to try to mount the factory electric bracket to see if it will work and if in deed it is the bracket. By the way, how tall are you?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

5'10-11 somewhere around there. Id be borderline on the helmet thing im guessing.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

5'10-11 somewhere around there. Id be borderline on the helmet thing im guessing.

I'm 5' 9 3/4" and I think that a helmet would be pushing it, but it is a necessity.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
tr is a badass company, i always get what i order from them in about 3 days

Same here. If thunder racing has it...I order from them first.

Added : --------------------------

What exactly is the problem, I am 6' 3", are you saying that if I get these seats I cannot wear a helmate because my head will hit the ceiling?

Last edited by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick; 09-20-2004 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added A Question About Height...
Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

baiscly yes.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lets see some pictures of the new seats!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The bracket setup puts the seat very close to the floorboard, as close or closer than stock. I don't think the height comes from the bracket. And I didn't see any way to gain additional height from modifying the bracket.

I had my seats shaved. It's taken from the padding, but these seats are still more comfortable than my stock seats.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluey2kz28

I also recommend that you get a five-way harness or at the very least a four-way harness system. I feel that this add on will also give more complete body support system to the whole package. This is something I plan to do in the near future. My setup will be of the five-point variety, both driver and passenger, utilizing L.G’s. rear harness cross member and their anti-sub bar.
I would not recommend this for a car without a roll bar. I started to go down this path too. My harness is still not installed.

The problem with a harness, is you are secured too much... If the car rolls (hopefully never, but things happen), then your head is the highest point in the car, and your body is being held firmly in place by the harness.

With stock belts, if the roof crushes, it may still hit your head, but your body can bend to keep your head (and NECK) from taking the full impact. With the harness there is no give...
Old 09-21-2004, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

John, how much higher (than stock) do you sit in your car with the seats, "shaved?"
Old 09-21-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shaved I sit about 1/4" lower than stock. Unshaved is 1/2" higher than that, or 1/4" higher than stock.