Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90mm vrs 78mm LSX Intake and TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90mm vrs 78mm LSX Intake and TB

Ok guys...

again just doin some day dreaming and thinking up of some future mods id like to do.

Now you see the mods i have on my car now on my sig...not much done to my car at all. I would like to eventually (after a few more minor exhuast and induction mods) upgrade the intake manifold and throttle body.

Now from what I gather on the forums, a 78mm LSX intake/tb would be more appropriate for my car NOW. Ive been reading and gather that the 90mm intake/tb are meant for more heavily modded engines (do I have this right?).

What id like to know is:

a) would there be any better performance gains by jumpin straight into the 90mm stuff? I know I wont be able to take full advantage of it, but wondering if it would serve ANY benifit.
b) if not, will it NEGATIVELY affect my performance with my current set up?

See, I plan to EVENTUALLY do more serious engine work on my car, and would rather get an Intake/TB to handle what comes in the future..NOW if, and only IF, it doesnt negatively affect my performance now AND matches the performance a 78mm set up would.

What do you all think?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 90mm is meant for heavily modded big displacement engines..

At this moment, the 78mm would be more than enough for you. You'd see gains with the 90mm, but IMO it's overkill.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

78 mm is a waste. Just stick with the LS6 or wait for the future and get the 90mm.

-Todd
Old 09-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

get a ls2 intake with the 90mm tb, alot cheaper
Old 09-14-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by koniu77
get a ls2 intake with the 90mm tb, alot cheaper
FAST will outflow that intake any day. If you're looking for max gains, stick with FAST. Plus SDPC hasn't even come out with the conversion kit yet. Who knows what that will cost. $235 LS2 intake + new fuel rails + new injectors = Cost of FAST intake? Hopefully they find a different route.