Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Looking for a new rearend or just gears?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:25 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a new rearend or just gears?

hey guys im not very familiar with rearends at all and im looking into buying a new one...i've been reading alot of threads on here about the noises and the bullshit about aftermarket rearends...can any one recommend a rearend that is good quality and wont break and make horrible noises? money really doesnt matter because i want a GOOD ONE that wont tear up...this is a street driven car but its looking to have about 550rwhp...i know that the 10 bolt wont hold up for ever so i thought id go ahead and get some ideas and money set aside for one...

I also have 2.73 gears and looking to move to the 3.73 gears what are your thoughts about the gear swap?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Moser 12 bolt w/4.10 gears. While the actual quality of the Moser is superior to about any other rearend on the market, they SUCK at setting up the rearend so it won't whine. I had a pro set the lash on my gears, and have no unusual amount of whine.
3.73 gears are a good choice for an A4 tranny in a daily driven car.

Bottom line, get a Moser with 3.73's, a posi unit, 33 spline axles, and 1/2" extended studs, and a stud girdle. Have a local speed shop (one that knows what they are doing) check the lash and setup the rearend. Or you can go with a Strange rearend with the same above specs. They are pretty much a direct bolt on with very little fuss.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
I have a Moser 12 bolt w/4.10 gears. While the actual quality of the Moser is superior to about any other rearend on the market, they SUCK at setting up the rearend so it won't whine. I had a pro set the lash on my gears, and have no unusual amount of whine.
3.73 gears are a good choice for an A4 tranny in a daily driven car.

Bottom line, get a Moser with 3.73's, a posi unit, 33 spline axles, and 1/2" extended studs, and a stud girdle. Have a local speed shop (one that knows what they are doing) check the lash and setup the rearend. Or you can go with a Strange rearend with the same above specs. They are pretty much a direct bolt on with very little fuss.
This is a very newbie question but wont a posi unit around turns drag my outside tire? and what does the 33 spline axles mean...sorry for so many little questions ....but i like to understand what im putting on my car

Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

from my understanding a spool can give the "dragging" effect. not sure what 33 splines mean but i know they are good, and thats whats important. they may be the teeth inside the axles the extend out to the wheels.....

another vote for the Moser

J
Old 09-21-2004, 11:59 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by heyitsTaJay
from my understanding a spool can give the "dragging" effect. not sure what 33 splines mean but i know they are good, and thats whats important. they may be the teeth inside the axles the extend out to the wheels.....

another vote for the Moser

J
so if spool keeps the tires locked up and makes it drag around turns....then what does the posi unit do?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-22-2004, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

The posi will disengage one wheel around corners, so they both turn at different speeds. This keeps you from dragging one wheel around corners. I run a spool,which is good for drag racing, and can still be used on the street, but you do have to swing the corners a little wider.

The 33 spline axle's are much stronger then the stocks ones, or the 28's. The higher the spline the more strength they offer.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 AM
7 Second Club

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for your fast replies!