Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 05-13-2016, 02:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

How to remove wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove wax?

My car has some awful swirl marks on the front quarter panel from a crappy wax job. I want to completely take all the wax off my car and redue it. I just don't know how to get the damn wax off. What takes it off? I tried dishwashing soap and it didn't work at all... it actually looks a little worse. I'll also be using different wax. Anyone know?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well, some wash with Dawn and claim that it works well..You may have to do it more than once...This is, however, not good for your paint and rubber pieces..A better option is a commercially availablo product called Prepsol...You can get this from most body shops/auto paint supply stores. It works very well, and is designed specifically for your application... If you need any more helpful info, there is a wealth of knowledge at www.autopia.com
Old 09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Usually Dawn or any other dish soap strips wax off pritty good. But, if you still think theres some on there I'd use some rubbing alcohol with a cotton towel over the whole car and that should do it.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well... Dawn original dish soap is supposed to work. It probably did take the wax off your car and that's why it looks worse.

The swirl marks most likely aren't going to be in the wax. They are usualy caused by a poor wax job or drying with cotton towels which in turn marrs the clearcoat surface. What you should do is get a polisher (porter cable) with a mildly abrasive pad and some 3M swirl mark remover (for dark colored cars) and treat that area.

Probably 2 passes with the polisher and 3M SMR should get out most swirls as long as they aren't too deep. Be sure to buff off with a microfiber towel in between layers. This will give the paint a light haze. Now you need to go over it with a cleaner polish (simple example is Zymol, but there are better out there) and a normal non-abrasive pad, Use the polisher, buff off with a MF towel and this will remove the haze and bring the paint back to a nice luster. Then add your final layer of wax (I do this by hand) and buff off with a MF towel once again.

That's the process I use on my cars to remove swirl marks. I have taken the original paint on my 1986 BMW, which was extremely scratched and dull, and almost completely restored it to 'brand new' standards. It takes patience and practice, but the outcome is very rewarding. Just be sure to dry or detail your car using only microfiber towels... it is VERY hard for them to make swirl marks.

However, if you think the wax is the problem and that it's still on the car... get ahold of some 3M Wax & Adhesive remover... it's supposed to get just about anything and everything off of your car without harming the paint at all... it would probably be a good idea to try it out on that one spot first, and then rewax the car.

I'm sortuv a detailing buff so lemme know if you have any questions: krazeezx@hotmail.com

Good luck!

-Vann
Old 09-28-2004, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5.7LImport
Well... Dawn original dish soap is supposed to work. It probably did take the wax off your car and that's why it looks worse.

The swirl marks most likely aren't going to be in the wax. They are usualy caused by a poor wax job or drying with cotton towels which in turn marrs the clearcoat surface. What you should do is get a polisher (porter cable) with a mildly abrasive pad and some 3M swirl mark remover (for dark colored cars) and treat that area.
-Vann
I can really see the swirls in the exactly places I waxed, thats why i'm thinking its the wax. I probably just messed up waxing or used bad wax. I wanted to try and remove the wax I have on now and see how it looks when I use a different wax. I'll definatley take your response into consideration, Thanks.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Swirl marks will never be in wax. They are in the clearcoat. It could be from applicator, towel, etc. To remove them you need a good polish. I use Menzerna and Poorboy's polishes with great success. I also use a Porter Cable random orbital buffer.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=28

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

Quick Reply: How to remove wax?