Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp 224 cam - noises - pushrod length question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comp 224 cam - noises - pushrod length question

I have stock heads with a Comp Cam 224/224 .581 .581 112lsa cam and 918 springs. Push rods are Comp 7.4s hardened. Oil pressure is good, yet I get a fairly loud clacking sound that comes and goes. Usually comes when driven under slight load, partial throttle, at cruise. The sound is definitly sourced on one side only. This motor was unknown to me as it was bought with 35k on it and I put the cam in before ever running it.

I thought for sure this was a lifter issue. So I pulled the heads, installed new Comp replacement lifters, checked the valves, found no other issues, and put it back together. Started up and within a minute the car sounded great. Took it for a drive and the sound has returned!

The local speed shop has suggested to put in 7.35 push rods. I'm no expert, but it seems to me the 7.4s should be fine. I'm going to try it and check the results, but wanted to get some opinions.

Are there any negatives and is this sound advice? It seems like a good move to me and I can't really see where this might be a problem.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same question. I am putting in a comp XE-R 226 .581 114LSA cam and got a deal on 7.35 PRs but dont know if they are ideal for the app? Or is they will work?

Cajun