Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cam install help?

I already have ARE heads/cam from a little over a year ago. I'd like to install a new TSP 231/237 cam to find a little extra power. I'm able to do some mechanical work...but I've never touched the internals of an engine. I have all the tools I'll need for it too. I'll have a whole weekend (friday afternoon to sunday night) if needed to install it.

My questions are since I don't need to change the springs, will I just have to remove all the crap forward of the timing chain cover, pop the cover off, pull out the old cam and put in the new one? I'm confused about the ls1howto.com directions....Does the engine need to be at TDC or anything special when you take out the cam? Is it impossible to mess it up if you line it up dot to dot? And what does degreeing the cam mean? I paid alot of money to have this done by someone else the first time and it got messed up and resulted in smashed valves and dented pistons...the shop covered it but if that happens this time the car will be sitting for a while because I don't have that kind of money laying around to fix it.

Can someone detail the process of getting the cam in and aligned properly? Thats all I need help with...everything else is simple work.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-29-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to remove the lid and maf, radiator support (under the lid), the two drive belts, radiator, water pump, crank pulley, timing cover, cam gear and chain, and the cam plate. Oh yeah, even not changing springs, you will need to remove the valve covers, coil packs, rocker arms, and pushrods to either use pen magnets to hold up the lifters, or use to rods in the oil valleys.

After the lifters are secured, and you've pulled out the cam, rotate the engine by hand until the crank gear dot is pointing straight up (12 o'clock). Place the cam gear and chain on with the cam gear dot pointing straight down (6 o'clock). After that's accomplished, rotate the engine by hand all the way around until the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock again, and then check to see if the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock, and obviously, the two dots line up.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, the last sentence should read: "check to see if the crank gear dot is at 12 o'clock"