Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad knock in motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad knock in motor?

Went to start car and ran it for less than 10 seconds at idle. Bad knocking like a hammer. No oil coming out anywhere. I will not start car again. I will flatbed it to a shop. .............Any idea what went wrong with my car. 99 Z28 ls1. heads and cam car. no metal on dip stick. Just ran 11.9 ET last week. Ideas of what it could be?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro734
Went to start car and ran it for less than 10 seconds at idle. Bad knocking like a hammer. No oil coming out anywhere. I will not start car again. I will flatbed it to a shop. .............Any idea what went wrong with my car. 99 Z28 ls1. heads and cam car. no metal on dip stick. Just ran 11.9 ET last week. Ideas of what it could be?
Sounds like a spun bearing to me.

Good luck,

PS If you need a short block setup at a great price, let me know. I will help as much as I can...
Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

What's the oil pressure look like? Mine did the same thing, though it would take about 1-2 minutes at idle before the pressure would bottom out. Possible spun bearing, mine did it in march with only 14,400 miles on it.

If you have oil pressure, pull the valve covers and inspect the rockers, and springs. Maybe you broke something in the valvetrain.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
What's the oil pressure look like? Mine did the same thing, though it would take about 1-2 minutes at idle before the pressure would bottom out. Possible spun bearing, mine did it in march with only 14,400 miles on it.

If you have oil pressure, pull the valve covers and inspect the rockers, and springs. Maybe you broke something in the valvetrain.

Yes i have oil pressure. I won't touch that ignition key for fear of terminating all. It will just have to be taken appart and looked at. Maybe I will get a stroker kit sooner than I thought. I too have a rossler T400 trans braked, moser 12 bolt. Hopefeully light at the end of the tunnel. 100k on the motor!!!!!!!!!!!