Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can you tell if your check valves are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can you tell if your check valves are bad?

my trans am makes a ticking noise i have longtubes on it and me and a friend cant find a leak, when you put your ear to the passenger longtube you can hear the noise coming through, not at a connection so its not a leak. when i pop the hood where the air connections are you cant feel or hear a noise as good as you can under the car or even beside the passenger side. i did the restrictor plate mod but the directions called for a 5/16 drill bit hole for the bolt holes which was too small and a 3/16 hole for the center hole so i made the center hole a tad bigger but not much, so my check valves should be ok right? man i cant stand this noise.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure if this is your prob. but might as well throw it out there.My chevelle has a ticking sound coming from the headers, no leaks, turned out to be just the exhaust reverberating inside the collectors.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The check valve can be bad if...

1) It doesnt let any air though
2) It's hard to push air through
3) It lets air through the wrong way
4) It lets air through both ways
5) It doesn't let air through either way

When one of mine went bad, it was #2.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

well then why do people say to do the restrictor mod since it makes the hole smaller? how do i tell if the check valves are bad? are they inside the air tubes?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You could use block-off plates and see if the noise goes away. Or, pull the hoses off the big valve in the back, and plug them, and see if the noise goes away.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The restrictor mod lets less exhaust gasses to the check valve. The pulsing exhaust gasses cause check valve "flutter", which is the rapid opening and closing of the valve, which over time destroys the valve. The restrictor plates reduces this flutter, and makes the valves last longer.

The check valve is that big thing that is between the rubber AIR hose and the metal AIR tube. It is clamped to the rubber hose and screwed onto the metal tube. The stock check valves are black.

To check if it's bad, just take it off the car and blow through it... if it does one of those 5 things above, it's bad
Old 10-12-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

there are 2 right? one on drivers side and one on passenger side? ok well how do i stop them from going bad? i did the restrictor plate mod, why would it have gone bad after i did the restrictor thing? and some people block the air off completely so why would people do that is it wouldnt let air through and make the valve bad? now if the valve is bad what else will that hurt? will it hurt performance? or just make the tick noise? how do i get the noise to stop if it is from the valve?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

is #2 the drivers die or passenger side?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

whats the part number? i tried 22048242 on gm parts direct and it said nothing was found

Quick Reply: how can you tell if your check valves are bad?