Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr. Gasket cable operated cutout? Competition for electrics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Dr. Gasket cable operated cutout? Competition for electrics?

I plan to get a cutout for one of my first mods. I have my eye on the streetpro. The only other cutout that really caught my attention is one by Dr. Gasket. I've don tons of research and found zilch. The cutout is operated by a cable that you pull to open the flap. Obviously, you wouldn't have to worry about a motor crapping out on you and I think it costs $45. And I guess you can rip it open as fast as you want. I have only seen it available in a 2.5" though. I have never seen anybody that has one, but I am very interested in it. Anybody have any info?

God, I just love the idea of the electric cutout. Flip a lighted, cockpit mounted switch to bypass cats, mufflers and tubing in order to increase performance, scare ricers, impress chicks or annoy neighbors. Or you can just close em' up and satisfy parents, calm neighbors and appease your local pd. That is so James Bond. Damn cool.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one uses a cable cuout because its junk. Basically its for dragsters. The install would be a bitch to say the least to run the cable into the cab without getting any major bends or kinks. Plus, I dont think you can close it using the cable, since cables are for pulling, not pushing. My advice is dont get it, it will be a huge hassle.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it would work fine if you got the cable running straight enough. I have a 1959 chevy pick up and i have cable operated vents in the cab. The cable pushes and pulls and it works perfectly fine.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a reason why those were popular in tehe 60/70's and NOT anymore....
Old 10-11-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh, thanks guys. Just looking for a cheap and easy way out I guess.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I think you would have to engineer a lock on the cable to keep the exhaust pressure from opening the exhaust plate/flap. Some cables are just friction, some have detents, and other are either full lock open or full lock off closed.

I think you need a cable similar to the shift mechanism such as on a bike so it can be held in place with a pretty strong locking mechanism.

I read in another post where McCord is actually spot welding the plate to the shaft because in some instance the exhaust pressure has blown the plate off.

IMO there wouldn't be any more kinks than the routing of the cable that opens the hood or the cable that opens the gas cap tank door.

When my motor fails on my QT, I plan to install a cable. I'll probably install it along side the seat in same location where the gas cap doors cables are located in some cars.

Electric motors are cool but overkill IMO. I would much rather have a system with a well engineered cable system (similar to the gas cap door cable) where its' either closed and locked or open and locked.