Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Noise

OK here's the deal.

I've been having this strange whining/squealing noise that I haven't been able to trace. Sounded like a belt... but wasn't then I thought maybe the throwout bearing (kinda weird at 20k miles) Took it to the dealership and they looked over it for two days and couldn't find anything.

The service manager went for a ride with me and when we got back to the lot he stood outside while I revved it a little then he heard it. He looks under the car and says that the LT's are rattling where the Y pipe connects to them on the drivers side.

I get under there and look while he blips the throttle and sure enough when the engine is coming down you can see it shake and rattle.

Question is would that be making the noise?? When I took it to the exhaust shop to have the y pipe modified (better ground clearance) the guy told me that the clamps had been put on and taken off too many times and that they wouldn't tighten properly.

The car doesn't sound like an exhaust leak but I'm wondering if this is what's causing my noise cause it's annoying and emberassing.

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair bet says it's the idler pulley.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was the first thing I checked. The noise isn't in the engine bay.