Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI Flexplate trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCI Flexplate trouble

I have a TCI flexplate in front of my YPT4200 and I think the bolts let loose. I was driving around fine until I hit it and the car starts ticking. It goes up and down with the RPMS. I thought it was an exhaust leak, but no. I'm driving around more and now there's a grinding noise. I was like damn. I attempt to pull over and now a screaching noise! WHen we were putting he plate in we noticed that the bolt heads were nearly the same size as the holes in the plate. We tightened them and moved on.

Is it possible that the bolt heads finally went throught the holes? Would this be the case? What bolts do you guys use? I'm pissed. I thought I blew the motor! We're dropping the trans to take a look tonight.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't really make any judgement untill you know exactly what is wrong. Take a look at it and update us with the facts.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing happen with the stock bolts. the bolts backed out and I unfortunately sheard two of the heads off. When i installed my TCI flexplate I used different bolts with a washer that fit into the recessed portion of the flexplate and locktite. hope you get it staightend out.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Thanks, I just hope that's the problem.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Teching In

If you use different bolts to put it back together, make sure you use grade 8 or better bolts.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by str8evl
I had the same thing happen with the stock bolts. the bolts backed out and I unfortunately sheard two of the heads off. When i installed my TCI flexplate I used different bolts with a washer that fit into the recessed portion of the flexplate and locktite. hope you get it staightend out.

where did you get the washers that will adapt the smaller bolts to the bigger holes? it wouldnt be a problem if the yank conv.s came with the bigger 7/16" bolt holes in them. Ive just came across this problem when I was about to install a tci flexplate in a buddie's car this weekend. and what bolts did you use cause the stock bolts arent long enough for the thicker TCI flexplate.
chris