Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

5.3L V8, 6-speed Auto ina Buick? (Lucerne)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3L V8, 6-speed Auto ina Buick? (Lucerne)

Though I'm sure it's going to be FWD....... wish GM would stop doing that....

Are these pictures worth enough to some General Motors engineers to have the local police department intervene? You bet they are! Twenty-four hours after these photographs were taken, our brave and dedicated photographer was pulled over by the local cops, at which time the officer turned around and gave a "thumbs up" to the worried engineers across the street. Apparently they had concerns that we were stalking them!

But truth be told, it was obvious that we were after this first glimpse of the new Buick Lucerne. Codenamed GMX222, the LeSabre replacement will restyled and re-engineered, and likely to reach dealerships in late 2005 as a 2006 model. The front-wheel-drive sedan will move up a notch with Buick amenities to fill the gap to be left by the Park Avenue. LeSabre sales may even continue for a short a while after the Lucerne is launched, adding an even more upscale lure to the eventual replacement.

The Lucerne will be offered with a V-6, or with an optional and quicker 5.3-liter V-8 re-engineered by GM for front-drive use. A six-speed automatic is also expected to be available.

One thing the camouflage may conceal is traditional portholes in the front fenders - three for the V-6 and four for the V-8.

Source:TCC

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=178&n=158
Old 10-21-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Well like the LaCrosse the Lucerne is supposedly only a temporary solution. This is supposedly a stopgap until an all new Zeta based full sized RWD Buick arrives in a few years. At least GM is making an effort to make do with what they have for now. I give them props for at least getting 8 cylinders under the hoods of the Lucerne, Grand Prix, Bonneville and the Impala. All they gotta do is get em to turn the right wheels and add a 3rd pedal. They're little steps in the right direction though and I respect GM for that. Man, if only Lutz got there a few years sooner.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

They will never make a stick buick.

-Todd
Old 10-22-2004, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

No one ever thought you'd see a third pedal in a Lincoln again but then the LS V-6 debuted with a 5 speed manual, so never say never. And Lincoln had been without a stick shift car since 1951 whereas Buicks last stick shift car died in what? the mid 70's or maybe 80's?
Old 10-22-2004, 06:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Well like the LaCrosse the Lucerne is supposedly only a temporary solution. This is supposedly a stopgap until an all new Zeta based full sized RWD Buick arrives in a few years. At least GM is making an effort to make do with what they have for now. I give them props for at least getting 8 cylinders under the hoods of the Lucerne, Grand Prix, Bonneville and the Impala. All they gotta do is get em to turn the right wheels and add a 3rd pedal. They're little steps in the right direction though and I respect GM for that. Man, if only Lutz got there a few years sooner.
I agree with most of this, except the '3rd pedal'. I'd much rather see a 5 or 6 speed automatic trans. But to each his own. They would definitaly all be best as RWD V8s for sure though.

How 'bout we ask for optional 6-speed manuals and 6-speed autos. Then everyone is happy.

Quick Reply: 5.3L V8, 6-speed Auto ina Buick? (Lucerne)