Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking off the Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking off the Y-pipe

I am planning on taking off my jet hot off road y-pipe in plans to sell it and put true duals on. Since i did not put it on can i simply have it taken off where they bolt to the headers and just run with open headers? Will this be possible might it hurt the car? When i get my true dual will they hook up to the ends of the headers with no problems or will i need some kind of adapter?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by popocamaro2
I am planning on taking off my jet hot off road y-pipe in plans to sell it and put true duals on. Since i did not put it on can i simply have it taken off where they bolt to the headers and just run with open headers? Will this be possible might it hurt the car? When i get my true dual will they hook up to the ends of the headers with no problems or will i need some kind of adapter?
Yes.. you can just unbolt the y-pipe.

As far as open headers go, how far do you have to drive the car? Hopefully it isn't too far because you could possibly screw up an O2 sensor.

You header collector is 3".. If you're going with 3" true duals, then it should slip fit, but if you're gonna go 2.5" then obviously you're gonna need 3" to 2.5" reducers.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the o2 simmulators in the back, or do you mean it would mess up the ones up front? Thanks for the input Z28Venom
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by popocamaro2
I got the o2 simmulators in the back, or do you mean it would mess up the ones up front? Thanks for the input Z28Venom
I mean the the two that are connected into the side of the headers. Should be fine if you're just making a short trip to the exhaust shop.. What size true dual setup are you going with and what mufflers?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

U wont mess up anything, just un bolt the Y, and bolt on the X..Unless ur welding them on...

Hope u like ur new setup!!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure im gonna sell my loud mouth too, i do not know a lot about the duals and i am having a hard time finding someone around here with them so i can hear what it sounds like in real life not on the computer. $$$ is a factor too which stinks but i want a nice system with good mufflers and no rasp just a nice deep butt kicking sound. I see a lot of people kind of put their own together but where do they get the x-pipes and how do you know which one to get and what mufflers to get?