Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MotoGP dominated again. Congrats Rossi!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MotoGP dominated again. Congrats Rossi!

Who knows maybe I'm the only one here that follows MotoGP, but I absolutly love this sport. Rossi impresses me everytime I see him race and even more when I see him in his interviews. For the last three years in a row Rossi has won on a Honda, and people were begining to wonder if the Machine made the man. Now we know and Yamaha has thier first victory in 10 years....awesome!

From 2wf.com

Rossi takes title for Yamaha at Phillip Island

Valentino Rossi became the first rider to win the MotoGP World Championship on a Yamaha since Wayne Rainey in 1992 with his eighth victory of the season at the Cinzano Australian Grand Prix. Rossi completed an amazing first year with the Japanese factory after a controversial switch from their great rivals Honda with an exciting victory over Sete Gibernau, his only remaining title challenger, which went right to the final corner.

Rossi becomes only the second rider in history to win the championship with different manufacturers in consecutive seasons behind Eddie Lawson and has broken Lawson and Rainey’s joint record of seven wins in a season for Yamaha.

“This is a fantastic day for us, we didn’t expect this,” said Rossi, who adds to three previous MotoGP titles as well as the 125cc and 250cc crowns. “It was a hard battle, Sete was very fast today but in the end I won. From the very beginning we have worked hard to put the Yamaha M1 at the top and we have achieved it today. I would like to say thanks to everybody at Yamaha for all their hard work.”

Rossi’s joy came at the end of a hard-fought race which saw Loris Capirossi take the holeshot before an aggressive move from Gibernau gave him the lead on the first lap. Rossi was passed by Troy Bayliss for third place and had to work hard to recover ground on the Ducati pair, overtaking them both in one stunning move on the first lap. Gibernau made his break at the front but, with Rossi now on course for the title second place, needed another rider to join in at the front.

Alex Barros provided brief hope, passing Capirossi for third place as Bayliss lost touch and charging towards the pair at the front. However, the Brazilian struggled with rear grip problems in the second half of the race and couldn’t maintain his pace, eventually dropping back to fifth behind Capirossi and Colin Edwards.

Gibernau had no choice but to try and force Rossi into a mistake and rode bravely to the end, conceding first place on lap nineteen but staying in touch and recovering the lead five laps from the end. The Spaniard held on until the final lap but Rossi was determined to celebrate his title in style, recovering superiority two corners from the end and clinching victory by 0.097 seconds.

Whilst Capirossi completed the podium and Edwards came through to ****** fourth from Barros at the line, Nicky Hayden came out on top of Honda colleagues Max Biaggi and Makoto Tamada in an intense skirmish for sixth and Troy Bayliss scored ninth in his last MotoGP appearance at his home track for Ducati.

Dani Pedrosa also celebrated World Championship success today, clinching the 250cc title with fourth place. Pedrosa broke both of his ankles in a practice crash at this track exactly one year ago but completed an amazing recovery today, becoming the youngest ever 250cc World Champion in his first season in the class. Today’s race was won by Sebastián Porto, who sealed the runner-up spot in the championship with his fifth triumph of the season, ahead of Aprilia colleagues Alex de Angelis and Manuel Poggiali. Toni Elías took fifth place whilst British teenager Chaz Davies sealed his best ever Grand Prix finish in an impressive sixth.

Andrea Dovizioso confirmed his status as the number one rider in the 125cc class with victory just a week after being crowned World Champion in Malaysia. The Italian fought throughout the race with fellow teenagers Jorge Lorenzo and Casey Stoner, who rode through injury after a heavy crash in the morning warm-up. Dovizioso made his break on the final lap to leave Lorenzo and Stoner to fight it out for second place, with Lorenzo edging it in a photo finish.

MotoGP Final Results

1 Valentino ROSSI ITA Gauloises Fortuna Yamaha
2 Sete GIBERNAU SPA Telefonica Movistar Honda Mot 0.097
3 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Ducati Marlboro Team 10.486
4 Colin EDWARDS USA Telefonica Movistar Honda Mot 10.817
5 Alex BARROS BRA Repsol Honda Team 10.851
6 Nicky HAYDEN USA Repsol Honda Team 12.210
7 Max BIAGGI ITA Camel Honda 12.847
8 Makoto TAMADA JPN Camel Honda 12.965
9 Troy BAYLISS AUS Ducati Marlboro Team 18.607
10 Carlos CHECA SPA Gauloises Fortuna Yamaha 21.245
11 Ruben XAUS SPA D’Antin MotoGP
12 Shinya NAKANO JPN Kawasaki Racing Team
13 Alex HOFMANN GER Kawasaki Racing Team
14 Jeremy McWILLIAMS GBR MS Aprilia Racing
15 John HOPKINS USA Team Suzuki MotoGP
16 Gregorio LAVILLA SPA Team Suzuki MotoGP
18 Norick ABE JPN Fortuna Gauloises Tech 3
19 Neil HODGSON GBR D’Antin MotoGP
20 Nobuatsu AOKI JPN Proton Team KR
21 James HAYDON GBR Proton Team KR
22 Youichi UI JPN WCM
23 James ELLISON GBR WCM
From MotoGP

Quick Reply: MotoGP dominated again. Congrats Rossi!