Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me figure out this mystery PCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me figure out this mystery PCM

My 2001 has a PCM in it (it's not the stock one). I'm trying to figure out what it has, so I can order HP Tuners for it. I connected with autotap but autotap doesn't seem to read VIN, year, or anything like that. Any chance each year has a unique part number stamped on it or something?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01-02 have the same part number... not sure about 99-00 ... however that won't help Really need to know what the VIN in the PCM is or specifically what year code is in the PCM

few possibilities...
1. Have a dealership reflash it to a known OS (so known 2001 Operating system and vin)

Other than that I'm not sure how else to get the info needed outta it... maybe the HPT guys have some ideas
Old 10-27-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar situation, this is what Keith suggested for me to do: I went to the nearest GM dealer and had them hook up a Tech 2 to get the VIN of the PCM. Only took a minute or two.

That said, there are advantages to having the '01+ OS in the car. For instance, if you ever want to run speed density, the later OS only has 1 VE table so the car won't have to run off of the secondary (smaller, less discrete) table. So maybe if you could have the dealer flash it (assuming it's '99-00) for a cheap price, I think I'd want to do that so that you could specify exactly which year you wanted.