Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JH Hooker header install, nice pieces but fitment is TRASH!! (bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JH Hooker header install, nice pieces but fitment is TRASH!! (bit long)

Welcome to my header nightmare. OK well maybe it hasnt been quite that bad, but disappointing to say the least. I finally got around to putting these lt's on my car (so many customer cars just havent had time) Sunday. First, they left out the little intermediate piece of the Y-pipe, so i was without a car for 2 days. I will say, Jet Hot and Force Fed High Performance (which i buy from on a regular basis) customer service was TOP NOTCH, beyond reproach. They solved my situation as quickly as humanly possilbe. So anyhow, I finally get he job complete, go to drive home and the header on drivers side is making SEVERE contact with the K-member. I have never heard of anyone having to notch the K for the Hooker LTs. And ive even installed a few sets before, never had this issue. Lemme tell ya, its NOT EASY notching a K-member with headers in place. Not easy at all. But we managed, 2 drill bits, 2 drift punches, a Sawzall blade, a small sledgehammer, and a plasma cutter later. That problem is solved. Now, the Y pipe rattels so bad, i seriously have yet to take my car above 3 k rpm for the GOD AWEFUL noise it makes. Its hitting in 4 places that i can see. I dont think these cars were ever meant to have a 3" Y under there. I am about 3 seconds from pulling the whole exaust from the collectors back and going true dual. If i can get decent confirmation that the TSP true-duals dont rattle at all, thats the way im going, but thats another post. Anyhow, for those doing this install in the near future, go ahead and notch the K ahead of time, and good luck with the Y pipe. On the bright side, Jet Hot and FFHP, you guys are the ****.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

i had the same problem with the y-pipe i took it to a muffler shop and they heated it up and were able to pull it down enuff to give more clearance so it wouldnt rattle..
Old 10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PHANTA-Z
Welcome to my header nightmare. OK well maybe it hasnt been quite that bad, but disappointing to say the least. I finally got around to putting these lt's on my car (so many customer cars just havent had time) Sunday. First, they left out the little intermediate piece of the Y-pipe, so i was without a car for 2 days. I will say, Jet Hot and Force Fed High Performance (which i buy from on a regular basis) customer service was TOP NOTCH, beyond reproach. They solved my situation as quickly as humanly possilbe. So anyhow, I finally get he job complete, go to drive home and the header on drivers side is making SEVERE contact with the K-member. I have never heard of anyone having to notch the K for the Hooker LTs. And ive even installed a few sets before, never had this issue. Lemme tell ya, its NOT EASY notching a K-member with headers in place. Not easy at all. But we managed, 2 drill bits, 2 drift punches, a Sawzall blade, a small sledgehammer, and a plasma cutter later. That problem is solved. Now, the Y pipe rattels so bad, i seriously have yet to take my car above 3 k rpm for the GOD AWEFUL noise it makes. Its hitting in 4 places that i can see. I dont think these cars were ever meant to have a 3" Y under there. I am about 3 seconds from pulling the whole exaust from the collectors back and going true dual. If i can get decent confirmation that the TSP true-duals dont rattle at all, thats the way im going, but thats another post. Anyhow, for those doing this install in the near future, go ahead and notch the K ahead of time, and good luck with the Y pipe. On the bright side, Jet Hot and FFHP, you guys are the ****.
sorry about your luck that really sucks. I just installed my first set of long tubes. It took me two nights lol. And now i have horrible leaks at every connection point. Im not sure what to do. I thought i tightened them pretty well. Anyways, If i could afford the true duals right now id be thinking the same thing you are. I say do it... its such a godly sound. I think i might be saving for a set now if no one can help me solve these leaks and rattles that i have. I litterally just finished an hour and a half ago.

Ben
Old 10-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Launching!

I ordered a TSP TD setup yesterday. Just dont want to try and fix a problem i feel i shouldnt have in the first place. Really is quite annoying. But anyhow, i guess we'll see if the new exhaust helps. At the very least, i will like the way it sounds. Ive heard a few TD setups, and they are quite nice.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to knotch my k-member with jet-hots, and I too, knotched it after the header was on. I used a drill bit, then wedged a gasket scraper between the header tube and the k-member and used a dremel with a steel cutting attachment for an hour to gain enough clearance for the #5 primary. I feel your pain. I was supposed to get mine on a Saturday, the day I tore the car down, but didn't get em till the following Wednesday due to errors in shipment, so I was without my ride for 5 days. They are on there now with true duals so I am a happy camper. Definately worth the wait and hassle. I hope true duals solve your problems, cause they made mine magically go away.