Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excess vacuum pass test

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default excess vacuum pass test

Ok I just put two new o2's in my 98z (slow response code I was getting very once in awhile) so I pulled the battery during the install to give the computer a fresh start with the new o2's.

The slow response code is gone now and the car seems to be going fine. Here is the funny part the specifically monitored systems test results passed within a few driving miles. The system readiness test EPA was still pending until today (about 100 miles since PCM reset) and it now shows a pass on the EPA. The specifically monitored systems test results now shows a fail because of a test called “excess vacuum pass test 2“ it says the limit is 10.000 and my value is .9000?

I have searched this board, ls1, camaroz28 and Google and have found nothing related to this test.

The only idea I could come up with is my ls6 valley cover might be the cause. Due to the fact I have no PCV valve “only a line to the intake from the breather on the valley cover. The ls6's do not have a PCV valve but maybe the older PCMs are not setup for this? The PCV system is just a guess.

maybe the EVAP system?

Any ideas? Anyone seen this test fail before? What is the pcm looking for?
Everything else with the car seems fine; I’m using efilive to retrieve this data

Last edited by dissonance; 11-03-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Teching In

It's EVAP - is your gas cap on tight?

Test Hex ID - 2
Type of test limit and ID - 86 and C6
Decimal range - –3276.8 - 3276.7 integral index-seconds

The deep web cache saves the day again!

MRK

Last edited by emarkay; 11-03-2004 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by emarkay
It's EVAP - is your gas cap on tight?

Test Hex ID - 2
Type of test limit and ID - 86 and C6
Decimal range - –3276.8 - 3276.7 integral index-seconds

The deep web cache saves the day again!

MRK
After I posted this I found something about the EVAP and the gas cap but I checked the gas cap before I left for work and it was tight. I did get gas the other day this was before I noticed the test had failed. I’m sure it's something simple because it has always passed before and just showed today. The only reason I noticed it was because I was watching the EPA test to complete.

I did not have a DTC with this so I was not sure maybe the DTC is coming

What else would cause this? EVAP valve problem?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again MRK

I took the gas cap off and cleaned the seal around and I also cleaned the tube that runs in to the gas tank...

After reading the links you sent me I found it to be some good reading on the subject so after a cold start the test pass and all is well...

I guess I will keep my gas cap and pick up a little cleaner now.

I did notice that the gasket is starting to crack around the edges so I’m sure I will have to replace it down the road

Quick Reply: excess vacuum pass test