Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

I need new tires.... advice anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need new tires.... advice anyone?

I need to get a new set of tires for my 2001 Z28. Winter is coming and as the people who live up north know, SNOW. So i would like something with all around performance with good traction in the snow, but also good street performance (the PERFECT tire, I know). I have heard something about a good michelin? maybe called alpine or something? I dont know, anything anyone can give me, please do. Any and all advice and or experience is welcome. Thanks everyone...
Old 11-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Launching!

The best tire I have ever had for the street is the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Even in the rain they would hook awsome. Ever since I bought those I will not get any other. Not too sure about the snow though, I never can get around good in that no matter what tire.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Personally, I just have a set of winter tire/rims and a set of seasonal tires/rims. I have a set of Blizzaks that I use in the winter. They are awesome and I am yet to get stuck with them (and with a little common sense).
Ed
Old 11-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Eagle F1's
Old 11-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Teching In

I currently have Khumo's on mine and I dont' like them at all.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

If you're looking for one tire that has very good all-around capability I would highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season). It has an excellent combination of sporty feel, dry/wet traction, and all-season capability IMO.

Here's a review from Tire Rack for some more info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...port_as_rd.jsp
Old 11-11-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had real good results with the Yokohama AVS Sports..can't hydroplane them and they stick good in the dry and seem to wear well too.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Goodyear Eagle F1's are a really good all around tire. Im sure they would do good in the snow but since I live in Texas....what is snow
Old 11-23-2004, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

I had a little hydroplaning incident on the 10 last week due to low tread so I bought some new tires. I got a set of 245/50/16, Yokohama AVS ES 100s from Discount Tire Co. These are some really good tires for the money.

I’ve had the opportunity to drive them in both dry and wet conditions and I am impressed. They have great dry traction and handling characteristics in the turns. These Yokos require a lot more effort to break them loose on wet pavement. Not that it’s impossible, but I’m not spinning them at every normal driving stop and go situation.

I think that these are the last 16’s I’m going to run on my Z, but when I switch to 17’s I will probably be getting a set of 275/40/17’s on 9.5” wheels. I figure that if 16’s are this good 17’s will be that much better.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Goodyear Eagle F1's are a really good all around tire. Im sure they would do good in the snow but since I live in Texas....what is snow
yep.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

they will be my next tire. michelin pro's are a bit overated, IMO. i have kumho 712's, and they are actually good tires for the money. unfortunately, after about 10k miles, the road noise these things give off is nearly unbearable. not to mention their cold/wet traction is quite poor. in other words, they're a budget tire. if you can afford better, do.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bluey2kz28
I had a little hydroplaning incident on the 10 last week due to low tread so I bought some new tires. I got a set of 245/50/16, Yokohama AVS ES 100s from Discount Tire Co. These are some really good tires for the money.

I’ve had the opportunity to drive them in both dry and wet conditions and I am impressed. They have great dry traction and handling characteristics in the turns. These Yokos require a lot more effort to break them loose on wet pavement. Not that it’s impossible, but I’m not spinning them at every normal driving stop and go situation.

I think that these are the last 16’s I’m going to run on my Z, but when I switch to 17’s I will probably be getting a set of 275/40/17’s on 9.5” wheels. I figure that if 16’s are this good 17’s will be that much better.

If you are talking about your tires being able to hook up, your going in the wrong direction. A smaller rim gives your more sidewall, more sidewall hooks up very well. Look at the really fast drag cars, they run huge sidwall tires, not low profile tires. I run 325/50/15s on my car
Old 11-23-2004, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluey2kz28

Yes you are right..I had a set of 275\40\17 ES 100's on my car and they were great tires especially in the rain. Long lasting too...the AVS ES100's are good and a bargan but the Yokohoma AVS Sports are even beter..pricey but real good tires...nothing like high quality tires for the performance driver.. ..you pretty much get what you pay for
Old 11-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Staging Lane

I bought the Fuzion ZRI, great tire. Hooks up extremely well, straight line or cornering- wet or dry. Good looking tread pattern and even better price- Tires run quiet and do not dart around on highway ruts. $630.00 mounted and balanced- Sure beats the price of Goodyear, BFG or Michelin.