Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:34 PM
liqour enthusiest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default yet another problem

ok i had this loud ticking what sounded like a lifter from my engine with poor performance. i found a valve spring that was broken, checked the rocker arms and pushrods, they were fine.. so i start the car up today and the tick is back. i drive to the gas station and put gas in it(it was empty). so i come back and rev it a little and the car kills itself. and it wont start up unless i pump the gas pedal while starting it... now it feels like its running on less than all 8 cylinders and my exhaust smoke(its cold out in chicago) is comming out a lot more on the right side than it is on the left and before i reved it they were comming out the pipes evenly... i have a y pipe with long tubes if that matters, but the car wont stay running unless i have my foot on the gas holding it there, if i let go my oil pressure drops with the engine rpm... so i sat there for about 10 minutes holding the idle and let off and the engine was idling on its own but it was running extremely rough... could anyone tell me what could be wrong with it... the tick is comming from the passenger side. i know what a rod knock sounds like too( i spun a bearing with the last motor), if i keep having problems like this i think i might have to sell my car.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, did you check the compression on the motor before you changed the springs? Your bearings might not have been the problem at the start but your guess is as good as mine now. You might have damaged the piston when the spring let go before. Or maybe your valve is bent. Not a certain thing but I would start thinking along those lines. Do a compression check. If your compression is way down putting alittle oil in the cylinder that is low may reveil a cracked piston or messed up ring landings. If it doesn't change that means a hole in the piston or a bent valve. Also if you put compressed air into the combustion chamber and you get alot of it out of the crankcase then you for sure have a big problem. Hope it's something simple and cheap.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:00 AM
liqour enthusiest

the reason i replaced the bearings is because i spun one.. that was the last motor... this motor im hoping is just a bent valve. if the spring broke the retainers in the head should have held the valve back. but i am blowing out blue smoke now, which is worrying me. if a valve was bent would i be smoking like this? and i dont think i could have hurt a piston, it has all forged internals.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's blowing smoke at Idle and running rough then step # 1 is pull the plugs, that may tell you the story, then do a comprssion test.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

why did you drive it in the condition that it was in when you knew you had a broken valve spring?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:30 AM
liqour enthusiest

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
why did you drive it in the condition that it was in when you knew you had a broken valve spring?
because it sounded like a lifter, and it was only about 6 blocks to get it home(i was on the expressway) and i didnt go over 40 mph.