Sponsored by:

Honing Darton sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honing Darton sleeves

Quick question ...

I have Darton MID sleeves and have had cause recently to pull the engine down for a rebuild. As far as can be seen, the bores aren't marked or damaged but I want to hone the bores prior to reassembly.

Apart from using a torque plate for accuracy sake and a half decent sunnen honing machine, are there any special considerations or tooling required. Not sure if the machine shop that has been selected for the work has the right gear or not.

I don't want to have to tear this sucker down again for a long time so I need the machining done right first time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-18-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

There is different style of stones that are used for different finishes in the bore for different styles of rings so dont sweat it unless your shop doesnt know this information.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 8POTS
Quick question ...

I have Darton MID sleeves and have had cause recently to pull the engine down for a rebuild. As far as can be seen, the bores aren't marked or damaged but I want to hone the bores prior to reassembly.

Apart from using a torque plate for accuracy sake and a half decent sunnen honing machine, are there any special considerations or tooling required. Not sure if the machine shop that has been selected for the work has the right gear or not.

I don't want to have to tear this sucker down again for a long time so I need the machining done right first time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
G-Day there 8POTS
I also have a 428 Darton sleeved stroker. The resident expert on this site on these sleeves (he installed mine) is Steve at Race Engine Development. One of the site's sponsors.

I would strongly suggest a PM to him, he posts under "Steve - Race Eng"
Or you could shoot him an email (race-engine-development@***.net) and ask him about the honing. He will be able to answer your questions.

Hope this helps you.

Quick Reply: Honing Darton sleeves