Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Speed with a Patch/Plug on a BFG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Speed with a Patch/Plug on a BFG?

I'm sure somebody has already asked this question before but I've never seen it. I got some BFG G-Force drag radials about 2 months ago and since then I've had two nails in the drivers side I had them plugged so my question is how fast can I go on these plugs and not have them pop out? The tires are a real soft compound so can this happen?
Thanks
Joe
Old 11-27-2004, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plugs suck.....take them to a tire shop and pay the money to get a patch. at the dealership I work at we use patch-plugs (its a plug with a patch on its *** that you put on the inside of the tire). They are the best but most places don't have them. either way most plugs will not hold air forever. A Patch is a much better then a plug.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patch is a much better way to go than a plug. That being said, I'd think hard about racing on any damaged tire. If that tire shreds at 100+ mph, it could get ugly in a hurry. IMO, I'd replace it rather than chance it.....

Shawn
Old 11-29-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I been riding around for 2 years with a regular ol' plug on the corner of my tire on my 94 Blazer. Plugs are tough.

If you are worried about it get one of those plugs that are shaped kinda like a bullet on the end that has a steel core. The core is very long and is inserted through the tire from the inside and pulled through from the outside. It cant come out because the end that is against the tire on the inside is flared out. It also gets glued and burned to the inside so its really safe. Thats what I use on my bike and it doesnt bother me to hit the mountains with pegs dragging, drag race, or even top it out (170+) on rare occasions.