Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! Noise Under Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP! Clicking/ Knocking Noise

Ok, here is how it went. I went out to pick up some food today and noticed a clicking/ knocking type sound when I started the car and while I was out driving around town. I came back and went to my folk's house this evening to do laundry. When I left I noticed the sound once again when I started the car and through town, but once I hit the interstate it stopped and I didn't hear it again...until tonight. I left my folks house around 1:30. I started the car to let it warm and noticed it. My dad came outside and I popped the hood to take a listen. It sounded like it was coming from the front of the engine. I gave it a little gas and noticed the clicking/ knocking sound increased with the RPM's.
My dad said he thought it sounded like it was coming from the valves, but then we agreed it sounded like it was coming from the front again. I cranked the TB a couple times while I was under the hood and it died down and disappeared. Then when I left I noticed it was doing it again slightly around the block until I hit main street and could do 40mph. I hit the 25mph zone and didn't hear it. I hit another 40 zone, stopped at a red light, hit the 60 zone, then the interstate...no noise. I got back to the town where I live (7 miles away) went through another 25 zone, a 35 zone and stopped at another redlight. I revved it up a couple times to about 3500 RPM's...still no noise. Got home, got out...no noise whatsoever.

Its like whatever it is clicking/ knocking quits once it gets going and gets some gas...

Anyway, I am a little concerned and need some advice from those who know more than me .

Just for further info:
Daytime Temp.: 40- 50
Nghttime Temp: 25- 30
Engine Oil: Checked Yesterday
Fuel: 1/2 tank 93 octane

Last edited by hepcatws6; 11-29-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Most LS1s make some clicking noises. It's just the way these valve trains are. It's worse when the AIR pump runs. I found synthetic oil quiets it down a lot. Be glad you didn't get a car with piston slap. Then your car would sound like a deisel truck when you started it. As long as it doens't get louder every day I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

you might want to do a search on the air pump check valves, i think i remember reading about them making noise but i dont know if thats after a header swap or something.

also, check to make sure all your spark plugs are tight, could be the aluminum expanding 'seals' up the plug when it warms up. hopefully its something simple like that and not something internal.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine makes ticks and wierd *** noises...untill it warms UP ...thats why i got Loudmouth..now all i here is the roar comen from the back.